Tuesday 2 September 2014

8/6/2012 The Yo-Yo's, Gasoline Queens, & Stereo Juggernaut @ The Barfly

SubjectThe Yo-Yo's, Gasoline Queens, & Stereo Juggernaut @ The Barfly
DateCreated6/18/2012 3:31:00 PM
PostedDate6/19/2012 7:08:00 AM

Friday night in Camden and three bands I want to catch at The Barfly. Only one snag - well two actually: The horrible venue beers and price of said beverages, and the ridiculously late stage times.
Therefore, I decide to do my drinking elsewhere in Camden - giving me an excellent excuse to visit the BrewDog pub before the gig. I like going there. A lot.
However, before I go there I have to meet up with Dave from the Gasoline Queens in the World's End as he has my ticket for the gig. Normally I like going to this pub, but tonight I don't find it an enjoyable experience at all. There are playing some awful death metal or something over the PA, which might explain why there are surprisingly few people here for a Friday night.
Well at least I can usually get a decent pint - I see they have Old Speckled Hen on draught - always a favourite of mine. This doesn't taste anything like Old Speckled Hen though - nor does it look anything like it.
My pint is dark and murky, and eventually it settles with about an inch of sludge at the bottom of the glass. I hand it back and demmand another pint. The barrel has run out and there isn't any more - is it going to be one of those nights?
I settle for a pint of IPA, which is as least reasonable if not as strong.

On this occasion I am pleased to get out of the World's End. A couple of minutes later I'm in the BrewDog place checking out what exotic beers they are offering today. The selection available doesn't look as interesting as on my previous visits but there are still interesting new beers to try. I start off with a new guest lager (not something I'd normally touch as regular readers will know) but it looked interesting and was 10% strength - the taste was unremarkable though.
I tried another new one called 'I Hardcore You' which was rather good. I can't remember exactly what other brews I sampled but they were all around 9 or 10%.... I was possibly somewhat over-refreshed by the time I got to the Barfly.

I think Stereo Juggernaut had just started by the time I managed to get into the venue.

Fortunately the band are on a bit earlier than the last couple of times I've seen them - although it was still late when they took to the stage around 11.30 at least I could have caught their whole set and still had time to catch the tube home if they were the only band I wanted to see. The band are down to three members since the departure of their keyboard player, but partly as a result of that and also a better sound mix I enjoy their set much more than last time I saw them - they sound more like a real live band tonight instead of the musicians being submerged beneath a barrage of samples and drum loops from a laptop. This is much better!

Although Stereo Juggernaut have a good following of their own who regularly turn up to their gigs, the venue isn't as full as I was expecting - maybe I'm not alone in disliking late stage times?

It's kind of like old times seeing one of my favourite ever bands playing in Camden again. The Yo-Yo's easily sold out this venue a few months ago and a second show was added later the same night. However, tonight The Barfly is obviously not sold out. I think it was unrealistic to expect such a large turnout this time for a couple of reasons; The last show was special because it was the first Yo-Yo's gig in seven years - a highly anticipated gig for the band's fans, and Plan A were on the bill too - another band who haven't been seen live in many years. Tonight's gig doesn't have that 'special' and unique status, but although the venue is far from full there is still a healthy crowd. However, the headline band have a stage time around the same time as the last tube departs Camden Town and I think this is a bit much for a lot of people even on a Friday night. I'm staying late tonight and enduring the horrors of multiple night buses - but only because I love the Yo-Yo's and don't know when (if ever) I'll see them again. If they want people to keep coming to their London shows (if they are going to do any more) then they need to start playing at other venues with more sensible stage times. However, I've got to say the band delivered the goods tonight and Danny McCormack looked healthy - on form and enjoying himself.


Although this gig might not have had that 'special' vibe from earlier this year, there is something that does make these few current shows a bit more special than those ones - the return of Neil Phillips. I never thought I'd see this happen, and this is now the closest we are ever likely to see to the classic original Yo-Yo's lineup as drummer Bladz now lives in Seatle - I don't think he even 'does' rock 'n' roll anymore as last I heard he was heading in a more 'industrial' direction.
The current drummer from The Loyalties fills the drum position tonight. 

There are no surprise guest musicians tonight - this is a pure Yo-Yo's show just like it used to be.


With Neil back with Danny and Tom on guitar/vox the setlist mainly comes from the band's fantastic 'Uppers And Downers' album - which makes for a terrific set - it really is 'all killer, no filler'.

If you are a Yo-Yo's fan then you can be pretty sure all your favourite songs by the band got an airing tonight, along with some choice B-sides like 'Rock City' and 'Stockholm Sick Blues' - I doubt anyone went home disappointed. Just hearing my favourite 'Home From Home' (the best song about a pub ever) made it all worthwhile for me!


This show is a warm-up for the band's appearance at the Download festival later this weekend - part of the reason for the lower attendance tonight also being down to some people who would normally be at this gig already being at Donington.

Although the gig earlier this year to celebrate Danny McCormack's 40th birthday was a resounding success, and the band's 'one-off' comeback show was very well received, as is tonight's performance - it remains to be seen what (if anything) the future holds for the Yo-Yo's? Danny has hinted at the possibility of more gigs and maybe recordings, but it would seem to depend on how everybody in the band feels about doing anything else after these few gigs based around the Download festival.

Who knows what the future holds for the Yo-Yo's? Even if it's nothing, they still managed to come back and finish on a high.

The night isn't over yet - at around 1.30 in the morning the Gasoline Queens take to the stage.

This band's Dogs D'Amour style rock 'n roll really compliments the headliners, and I know members of both tonight's support bands are really pleased to be playing with the Yo-Yo's.

The Gasoline Queens turn in a tight and polished set even though due to their usual bass player not being available Dave Renegade has switched to bass for this show - they have a stand in on guitar in his usual place. Once again Texas Terri joins the band for a guest vocal spot to add some NYC flavour..

It's been an excellent night, and I have managed to avoid patronising the venue's high-priced and low quality bar due to my few liveners in the BrewDog pub earlier - several hours later and I still haven't sobered up - I think I only fell asleep once briefly on the buses home....

No comments:

Post a Comment