Saturday 6 September 2014

27/8/2012 Acoustic night @ Nambucca

SubjectAcoustic night @ Nambucca
DateCreated8/30/2012 6:10:00 PM

Bank Holiday Monday finds me heading down to Holloway Road for an acoustic night at Nambucca. I'm not normally that into acoustic stuff, although ironically I played in that style (sort of) just down the road a year or so ago.

The idea of tonight's show is to get artists who aren't used to performing acoustically out of their comfort zone. That isn't quite the case with Stubio, who I have seen playing in this style at Bar Monsta/Camden Rock several years ago. 

Some of you might recognize Stu from Vamps 'N' Gypsies. I miss them - they were a lot of fun.

These days Stu plays with The Deadnights and tonight in his solo spot he performs their song 'Dorothy' as well as a few of his own compositions. Tonight he shows that is a pretty decent songriter, and also a good singer - which didn't really come across in the female fronted Vamps 'N' Gypsies.

The opening act on tonight's bill was a 'no-show', and so was the third on the bill, so after Stu we get Die Kur.

This this really is a band out of their comfort zone, but tonight they give us something very different - see my previous blog for an idea of what this band are normally like.

Ays is really having to sing for a change, and Andi-M surprises us with not the expected acoustic bass or six string but a full size double bass!

The melodies in the songs come out more in the acoustic context, and Andi proves that it's possible to play a double bass and still throw a few shapes!

For the second half of the set Andi changes to acoustic 6 string and this gives us the most varied and interesting set of the evening.
Next act was Achilla, but to be honest I found the female vocals a bit on the shrill side so I spent most of their set outside chatting. I much preferred the full electric version of the band I saw down the road at The Gaff several years ago.

Next up we have Guns 2 Roses - a tribute band to, well you can probably guess who...

I've seen this lot before and they are good at what they do. Predictably, songs from G'N'R's 'Lies' EP feature prominantly in tonight's acoustic set but this means they play the beautiful 'Patience' so I'm happy as I don't think I've every heard anyone cover it before. These songs all work really well in this setting.

For the last part of the set the band are joined by Lilygun drummer Belle Star - who seems to be turning up everywhere at the moment. It has to be said that Guns 2 Roses have the best songs of the night.

Final act tonight is Rachel Stamp's David Ryder Prangley.

DRP is joined by Lilygun's Belle and the guitarist from Die So Fluid. Tonight's set is billed as 'DRP's last ever show'. Make of that what you will. The 'official' reason is that he is 'retiring' - I did ask him at the gig but he was very vague.... However, I do think he will be seen playing bass at a friend's gig towards the end of September....


Tonight's set contains some songs that will be familiar to Rachel Stamp fans and one or two covers - I'm afraid I can't remember which ones as quite a lot of beer had been consumed by this point - I had been taking advantage of the all too rare availability of real ale at the music venue - Bombardier on this occasion.

It was a heartfelt performance and I hope we haven't seen the last of DRP on our stages...

All in all this was a fun and enjoyable night in many ways at one on London's friendlier music venues - and very reasonably priced both on the door and at the bar.

For once (well twice recently) I even managed to leave in time to catch the last tube - although with literally seconds to spare as the train was already on the platorm at Holloway Road when I arrived and the the doors closed as I jumped aboard - making it by the skin or my teeth.
PS: This venue closed (again) in early 2014.

PPS: DRP is crap at retiring - I've lost count of how many times I've seen him perform in various guises since this show. Including reforming Rachel Stamp!

No comments:

Post a Comment