Friday 12 September 2014

3/12/2012 Jon Spencer Blues Explosion @ The Electric Ballroom

SubjectJon Spencer Blues Explosion @ The Electric Ballroom
DateCreated12/13/2012 2:34:00 PM

Monday finds me back in Camden for the second night in a row, but this time a a venue with a bar I don't intend drinking at due to it's prices and shit selection.

So contrive to arrive at the BrewDog place before the gig. Good move as they have their rather special Tokyo* Imperial Stout on tap - one of my favourite beers ever.

Suitably refreshed I make my way up the road to the Electric Ballroom. I've wanted to see the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion for years - ever since I was blown away by their 'Plastic Fang' album.

However, this is the first time I've actually managed to see them - although it's not the first time I've had a ticket for one of their shows. The venue is pretty full - especially considering that I've seen or heard virtually no promotion for the gig. Unfortunately the show fails to live up to my expectations personally - I'm sure that's not the case for most people present though. As the only album I actually own by the band is the aforementioned 'Plastic Fang' from about eight years ago it's probably inevitable that I end up disappointed as they don't play a single song from it all night. In fact nearly every song played tonight appears to be called 'BLUES EXPLOSION!' judging from the shouts from the stage.

The band play well enough and they make a surprisingly large sound considering the lineup is just two guitars and drums - no bass player. To be honest I find all the songs sound rather samey after a while, although the performance is dynamic and lively. Which is probably why the band remain cult heroes and seem unlikely to ever get any bigger even after over 20 years. I'm glad I've finally got to see the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion but I find this one of the least satisfying gigs of the year and it doesn't leave me with much desire to see the band again, although I'm sure I'm in the minority on this tonight. So back to BrewDog I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment