Monday 8 September 2014

25/10/2012 Wolfsbane @ The Garage

SubjectWolfsbane @ The Garage
DateCreated10/26/2012 5:37:00 PM
PostedDate10/30/2012 6:52:00 AM

This is a gig that has been much anticipated by many of my friends and myself.
What I failed to anticipate was how shit First Capital Connect can be.
They excelled themselves tonight.
I had planned to arrive at the gig with plenty of time to spare, but on arrival at the station I found my train was delayed by about fifteen minutes - which wouldn't have been too bad.
However, the indicated estimated arrival time soon went up by ten minutes.
It seemed like every time the train was only five minutes away it went up by another five minutes - even when the train was supposedly only a minute away up would go the time again, and it eventually arrived a couple of minutes after the eventual indicated time.
By then it was nearly half an hour late and I eventually got to The Garage seven minutes after the band took to the stage - I was so pissed off by then that I really wasn't in the mood and although Wolfsbane were on excellent form I really didn't enjoy the show as much as I should have done. It's not the first time I've had a night out at The Garage ruined by First Capital Connect in what should be a really quick and simple journey.
Still being stone cold sober didn't help me get in the mood either as I was originally planning to have a couple of liveners in the pub beforehand - no way was I going to spend any money at the venue's way overpriced bar. In spite of all this, I have to say this was still one of the best gigs I've been to all year.

The Garage is a bigger venue than Wolfsbane's last London headline show at the upstairs Islington Academy, but the show obviously wasn't sold out. Attendance wasn't bad though, and even though the venue wasn't full the atmosphere was terrific!
The Tamworth Terrors have loads of great songs and could have easily put a great setlist together relying on just their old stuff. However, they have put out a new album since they reformed and it's actually rather good!

As well as the new stuff, some songs are also played from their 'White' eponymous album that was released (and not promoted) shortly before the band split and sunk without trace.
I don't think much from that album ever got played live so it's great to hear some of it tonight. As I said, they is plenty of strong material the band can draw from on their two earlier studio albums and one EP (not to mention a great live album) before their ill fated self titled album. The setlist has changed considerably since last year's live dates - this isn't just another old band living on past glories - they might be older now but Wolfsbane remain fresh and vital. This is born out in the band's performance tonight as they play like bastards and are obviously really enjoying themselves! The crowd are well into it too, with a large proportion being hardcore fans singing along to every word - the best atmosphere I've experienced at a gig for some time.
Needless to say, frontman Blaze get's the traditional Wolfsbane gig taunts of "You fat bastard!" which he takes in his stride - the banter between Blaze and the crowd is part of the atmosphere at this band's shows.

Most my old and new favourites are in the set - a noticeable addition for this tour being the band's surprising Meat Loaf style epic 'Illusion Of Love' from the recent album with it's very un-Wolfsbane-like arrangements and tempo changes. Givvi (well known to Wildhearts/Ginger fans) provided excellent extra vocals on this song. Other highlights from the last album included 'Blue Sky', the autobiographical 'Smoke And Red Light' and 'Did It For The Money' which was also on last year's EP of the same name. Nearly all the classics from first time round get an airing as well including 'Paint The Town Red', 'Ezy', 'Money To Burn', 'Kathy Wilson', 'Money Talks', and 'Black Lagoon', although 'Steel' is conspicuous by it's absence.
I find out later that one of the first songs tonight was 'Lifestyles Of The Broke & Obscure' - a particular favourite of mine from the 'White' album that I never thought I'd hear played live - I don't think I'll ever forgive First Capital Connect for making me miss that as I'm sure It's never been played live before as the band split up before they could promote that album.
However, that song has has now appeared in very raw live in the studio demo form (still sounding great) on the band's new 'The Lost Tapes' CD - but it can't complete with the sheer riff-tastic heaviness of the Simon Effemy produced studio version. I didn't bother taking any pictures due to the crowd and smoke machine as I knew I had little chance of getting any half decent ones (OK I know that doesn't usually stop me) and I knew a friend who is a proper photographer was taking pictures. If you want to see loads of good pictures of the show check out Trudi Knight's ones here.

Even though it took me a while to get into it due to being in a foul mood because of missing the first songs, this was a great gig. I managed to resist the temptation of the rip-off venue bar and actually didn't feel that thirsty at all. I did nip into the nearby Wetherspoons pub for a quick couple of pints after and discovered a really nice ale from Lithuania of all places.
At least the trains worked OK on the way home and I got back quite quickly and easily - like I should have got to the gig earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment