Wednesday 3 September 2014

22/7/2012 Gasoline Queens & Tango Pirates @ The Dublin Castle

SubjectGasoline Queens & Tango Pirates @ The Dublin Castle
DateCreated7/24/2012 3:16:00 PM

Sunday night finds me in Camden for some rock 'n' roll.

I'm going to the Dublin Castle but can't resist dropping into the BrewDog pub first to see what interesting beers they have on offer. I am not disappointed, but only have time so sample a couple of brews: A guest beer from Norway that's rather nice (10%) and BrewDog's ownAnarchist/Alchemist (15%) on draught. which was very nice! I tend to loiter in this place longer before going to the Barfly to avoid drinking the horrible beers at that venue, but as I'm going to the Dublin Castle where I actually do enjoy drinking then I have to take my leave earlier than normal - especially as I intend sinking a few pints of Westons Old Rosie.

The first band I see at the Dublin Castle tonight are Tango Pirates.

Consisting of ex-members of Lords Of The New Church, Dogs D'Amour, and the Cherry Bombz they have been round the block a few times individually.

They have some reasonable songs but they aren't exactly re-inventing the wheel - if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess. I would help if the sound mix was better though - I can't help wondering if the guy on the mixing desk fancies the bass player as she is far too loud and this ruins it for me.


The band are joined on stage for the last song by the almost omnipresent Texas Terri who seems to end up on stage with almost every band I go and see these days. It's all good fun though.

Tonight's headliners are the Gasoline Queens - who aren't Queens (as far as I am aware) and have no discernable whiff of petroleum based products either. However, they are rather good at playing rock 'n' roll.

Regular readers will have noticed this band with a strong Dogs D'Amour connection and influence are joined onstage by an extra guitarist - none other than ex-Crybabys, UK Subs - and Dogs D'Amour man Darrell Bath - more often seen these days with his own band.

Darrell fits in perfectly, but unfortunately the muddy sound mix doesn't let us hear this remarkably natural guitarist clearly.

Although Darrell only joins the band for the last few songs this really makes it a memorable gig. This is a pretty good night at the Dublin Castle anyway and the atmosphere is excellent. There are still plenty of people out there who like to see honest rock 'n' roll bands who just do it for the love of the music and don't give a shit about trends or what the fashion-fascists of the music press tell us is 'cool' this year.

It's good to see this band getting out and playing regularly again over the last few months - I'm looking forward to hearing what their album will sound like when it eventually appears.

The Gasoline Queens have the best original songs of the night, and also throw in a couple of crowd pleasing covers by The Heartbreakers and, yes - Dogs D'Amour!

Although I only saw the last two acts out of the four on the bill (the others being Riot In Paradise and Long Tall Mick) this was great value for money at only five or six quid on the door, and reasonable bar prices too. For Camden anyway. I think I had one pint of Old Rosie too many and missed the train I wanted, but still managed to get the tube home, although with a longer walk from the station than I planned...

No comments:

Post a Comment