Monday 1 September 2014

3/5/2012 The Quireboys @ The Borderline

SubjectThe Quireboys @ The Borderline
DateCreated5/7/2012 1:55:00 PM

I was quite surprised when this gig at the Borderline was announced as last time The Quireboys played in London in was at the rather larger Garage and they have also in recent years played at the much larger Forum. I was less surprised when this gig sold out beforehand. Unfortunately First Capital Connect have another surprise in store for me tonight though - I arrive at the station to find my train is 'Delayed'.

No explanation is given, and of course these days there are no staff at the station to ask.

Usually it is merely late with an ETA given on the indicator board - this time there isn't even a rough arrival time.

I don't think this train company likes The Quireboys as they also made me disastrously late for the High Voltage festival a couple of years ago and made me miss virtually their entire set.

Now I have to hang about and watch other trains go through on the slow line without stopping, and a train carrying track ballast flies through at around the time my train should have arrived. I checked the TFL website to check for engineering work or other trouble shortly before leaving home - there was nothing mentioned on this line.
My train eventually arrives around 23 minutes late and by the time I arrive at the Borderline I can already hear the band playing downstairs. Once I finally get into the venue I find it is absolutely rammed! I knew the gig was sold out, but I wasn't expecting it to be this packed. I settle on a position near the stairs for the time being as I'm still quite close to the front and have quite a good view, although it's crap for trying to take pictures.

The band are sounding great and singer Spike is on fine form. He's certainly one of the most engaging and entertaining people fronting a rock 'n' roll band these days - exuding and easy and relaxed charisma.

The 2012 version of The Quireboys is probably the best lineup they've had for years. The rhythm section are the new boys, but they look like they fit in well and they are certainly good players.

The setlist is largely from the band's first (and still best) album 'A Bit Of What You Fancy', but this is obviously what the crowd want to hear - and Spike and the boys seem only too happy to oblige. However, songs from all four of the band's other albums are also thrown into the set - and all those abums contain some good songs too.

In spite of the overcrowded venue, with songs as good as this and a great atmosphere this is a thoroughly enjoyable show.

I manage to get to the bar after a fashion, as I think it apt to toast this band with a bottle of Newcastle Brown. However, on getting little change from a fiver just for a bottle I decide one is enough.

There is hardly room to drink it anyway as there are so many people crammed into the place and fighting my way to and from the bar just isn't worth it. It's a great show all the same, and Spike announces that there is a new album on the way - and the band play a song or two from it tonight. Spike also mentions that Tyla from Dogs D'Amour is here tonight and mentions the possibility of the two bands doing a tour together. Needless to say, this idea is greeted very warmly by the crowd! It looks like The Quireboys will be doing another tour around autumn time - so we might have rather an exciting bill to look forward to!

We get the expected encore to finish the evening off, but there is one surprise - they don't play 'Sex Party' tonight!

It's hard to believe they left out one their most popular songs - it's almost like Motörhead not playing 'Ace Of Spades'.

I'm sure I heard Spike mention that they had plenty of time tonight as there was no curfew on this Thursday night - what were they thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment