Monday 27 January 2014

8/7/2006 Dead Monroe & Drugdealer*Cheerleader @ the Ace Cafe

SubjectDead Monroe & Drugdealer*Cheerleader @ the Ace Cafe
PostedDate7/8/2006 4:43:00 AM

I was expecting London's legendary rocker haunt the Ace Cafe to be busy on a Saturday night, but it looks like this rather cool biker hangout still has a long way to go to establish itself as a music venue. This place is steeped in rock 'n' roll history and has a unique atmosphere all of it's own.  However, people aren't really aware of it as a venue for live rock 'n' roll - as I found out when I went to see Girlschool there earlier this year - a band who can sell hundreds of tickets for their gigs at other London venues, but played to about thirty people at the Ace Cafe.  To be fair, the place isn't really set up as a music venue and they are not really going to get better known bands to play there when the stage is so small and the PA leaves something to be desired. It's a shame as the place has a lot of potential....

Dead Monroe are a band who are used to playing venues of all sizes and can take gigs like this in their stride. In spite of the sound quality not being very good the band rose to the occasion, and they still got to play to quite a few more people than some of their shows over the last couple of years. This is a venue where you can be sure that virtually everybody present likes their ROCK music, even if they don't know who is playing - therefore the band got a good reception with their punk edged rock 'n' roll. Some excellent newer songs like 'Happy End' and 'Get Out Of My Timezone' got an airing alongside their very strong older material like 'Eat Shit And Die' and 'Are U Receiving Me'. A couple of people were there sporting Dead Monroe T-shirts and Tim the bass player from fellow Essex rockers Houston 500 was there to see them as well. It was a good performance in spite of the limitations of the venue. 


Next up were Drugdealer*Cheerleader - a band who I've enjoyed seeing two of three times in the past, but not for a couple of years or so now. The sound and the musical style haven't really changed at all - and neither has singer Hilda's terrible green jacket!  However, they have a new bass player since the last time I saw them - and he sports a very cool looking Epiphone Explorer.  Unfortunately he spoils the effect by dressing like he's in a pub band.  At least the drummer (of all people) manages to look more like a 'rock star'. The guitarist seems to have lost the plot somewhere and his red Axl type locks have vanished in favour of a bandana under a black trilby style affair! In spite of his 80's almost new-romantic sartorial stylings he still plays out and out hard rock and wrings a good sound out of his Epiphone Les Paul. Lyrically the songs may leave something to be desired, but Hilda is certainly a fine rock frontman - I'm just a bit surprised that unlike the previous act the band don't seem to have evolved at all musically in several years.

The final band tonight is Cavalar. I've seen the name around on the Camden circuit quite a bit and they seem to have played with quite a few other bands I like so I've been looking forward to checking them out. Although I've never actually seem the band until now, I'm sure I've seen their bass player in Metalworks and I think also playing with Zodiac Mindwarp? This band seem to take their influences mainly from British NWOBHM and American Bay Area thrash. The guitar and bassist in particular are excellent musicians, and the singer a good old metal style screamer. The ingredients should add up to something I'd like, but after fifteen minutes or so I still haven't heard anything that actually seems to resemble a decent song.  Although there is good musicianship on display I find I am not enjoying this at all and I have already decided I don't ever want to see this band again.  I do something which is very unusual for me unless I have a last train to catch - I leave early. I can actually see my motor beckoning me through the window as I watch the band. I am probably home before they finish their set.

No comments:

Post a Comment