Tuesday 28 January 2014

9/8/2006 Lethal Fixx, Bai Bang, & Innocent Rosie @ Bar Monsta

SubjectLethal Fixx, Bai Bang, & Innocent Rosie @ Bar Monsta
PostedDate8/9/2006

Wham glam, thankyou mam! This bill was great value for money if you love your glam rock - five sleazy glam bands for £7 is hard to beat. I didn't arrive in time to see the first couple of bands, Junction 13 and Knock Out Kaine.

Innocent Rosie were playing when I walked in the door - good musicians and glam image, but no songs that stood out. Yet another case of style over content - something all too common in this scene...

Like the previous band, Bai Bang are also from Sweden. Also like the previous band, their image and sound are virtually the same - actually you could say that about all three bands I saw tonight. However, Bai Bang appear to have spent more time than the other bands on actually writing some decent songs - they definitely had the best tunes of the night, and seemed a bit more polished and refined than the other bands on the bill.

I'd heard a bit about Lethal Fixx before, and they certainly seem to have made an impression on a couple of my friends who've seen them before. On asking what they were like I was told G'N'R and the Sex Pistols - which sounds like the sort of band I'd like. However, on tonight's performance I didn't notice much of either band in their sound or look, although I dare say they were an influence. Unfortunately, this seems like another band who have spent far more time preening and posing in front of the mirror than they have actually trying to write some decent songs. This gig is supposed to be a 'single release party' for them, but I don't hear any songs in their set that actually stand out as single material. That said, Lethal Fixx do actually turn in the most impressive rock 'n' roll performance of the night, which does an excellent job of glossing over their lack of strong songs.

It's a good night at Bar Monsta with a cool atmosphere, but all the bands look and sound so similar with so little character of their own that I wouldn't go out of my way to see any of them again.
'Bar Monsta' was pretty cool while it lasted - it's now 'Camden Rock' and is best avoided unless you want to get shot, stabbed or arrested.

No comments:

Post a Comment