Tuesday 28 January 2014

15/8/2006 The Transmitters @ the Rhythm Factory & JOANovARC @ Bar Monsta

SubjectThe Transmitters @ the Rhythm Factory & JOANovARC @ Bar Monsta
PostedDate8/15/2006

For the second time in a week I try to get to two gigs in one night - and for the second time in a week things go wrong. 

My first port of call is the Rhythm Factory in Shoreditch to see The Tranmitters. The time the gig started appeared as 9.00 on MySpace and the other show I wanted to go to was in Camden and due to start at 10.00 so it seemed quite easy to see both shows and not miss anything. Then I found out that the Transmitters actual time due on stage was 9.40. Not so good, but with a following wind - if they hit the stage on time and the  JOANovARC show started a bit late as is often the case at Bar Monsta then I should get to see at least some of their set...

I arrived at the Rhythm Factory to find procedings already running about ten minutes late.  And the Transmitters bass player hadn't shown up yet...  The wayward four-stringer eventually turned up nearly twenty minutes after the band were due on stage. The Transmitters didn't take to the stage until after ten o'clock. They were sounding good, with the keyboard player well audible for a change - in fact he was louder than the guitar!

After one song I decided to rush off to try any catch what might remain of JOANovARC's set in Camden - it didn't seem fair to miss them because someone else was really late.

As I walked the few yards up Kentish Town Road from Camden Town tube to Bar Monsta I could already hear JOANovARC in full flight. They were on good form as usual. Unfortunately for me, the band didn't start much later than planned and I only caught the last three songs of their set. They were so good though, that it was worth the 25 minutes it took me to get from Shoreditch to Camden. 

Apparently, two of the three other bands booked to play tonight at Bar Monsta didn't show up - if they had then I expect things would have run late and I might have even caught the whole of JOANovARC's set. Still, at least I got to catch a few songs played live between two good bands tonight - better than staying in wasting my time sitting in front of my PC all night. 
'Bar Monsta' is now 'Camden Rock' - avoid like the plague!

No comments:

Post a Comment