Wednesday 29 January 2014

12/9/2006 Buckcherry @ the Underworld

SubjectBuckcherry @ the Underworld
PostedDate9/12/2006

I'd been looking forward to this gig for some time, although I wasn't sure what to expect as I think there are only two original members in the reformed band. I saw the old band a few years ago at The Garage and they were terrific. I'm surprised the band are playing in such a small venue this time - I think it sold out some time ago and they could have filled the Mean Fiddler. I needn't have worried - Buckcherry are still a great live band. The core of singer Josh Todd and guitarist Keith Nelson remains from the original band, and as they are the key songwriters then hopefully the new album (when the one I've had on order for weeks finally turns up) will maintain the quality of the first two.

As is often the case in the Underworld, the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired (as does the air conditioning) but the performance of the band is excellent in spite of the sauna like conditions. Fortunately, the management of the club had actually opened the other bar for once - which helped matters slightly as just getting a drink can often take ages in this venue. The band were on fine form and I thought they were at least as good as when I saw them at The Garage first time round. As would be expected, songs from the new album were featured prominently, although how effective this was in promoting it is open to debate as it is still only available on import in the UK and I've yet to hear anything from it apart from 'Crazy Bitch'. That aside, the setlist was a crowd pleaser overall with plenty from the previous two albums. I think my only favourites that were missed out were 'Whisky In The Morning' and 'Dirty Mind'. Not surprisingly, 'Lit Up' was saved for the encore - although it wasn't the last song - which did surprise me. That honour went to 'Crushed' I think. Still, it was a great show and well worth waiting for - let's hope we don't have to wait so long before Buckcherry are back again.

I rounded off the evening with a visit to Bar Monsta where the Buckcherry 'aftershow' was supposedly taking place, although I didn't stay long enough to see if any of the band actually turned up. Red Light Rippers from Canada were playing when I walked in. I'd downloaded one of their songs 'Trailer Trash Trixie' fromFading Ways but thought it was very generic and not too impressive. However, I have to admit that song sounded much better when they played it live. The band scored a few cred points for throwing in a crowd pleasing New York Dolls cover but apart from that I didn't see enough of their set to really judge them on. The singer moaned about the effectiveness of the air conditioning in Bar Monsta, but anybody who was in the Underworld earlier would have found Bar Monsta pretty damn cool in comparison! However, at least the Underworld had good supplies of beer - unlike Bar Monsta who had completely run out of beer and cider by the time I arrived even though the place wasn't that full.  At this point I decided to head for home while I could still walk unassisted - unlike a week earlier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment