Sunday 26 January 2014

17/5/2006 Houston 500 @ the Purple Turtle

SubjectHouston 500 @ the Purple Turtle
PostedDate5/17/2006 12:14:00 PM

I arrived early enough to see a band new to me called (I think) Gentlemen Of Largesse. There were three of them and they took to the stage in matching flourescent yellow waterproof overalls - which must have been very hot! The music was rock of a category I find difficult to define, but I thought they were rather good and certainly didn't remind me of any other band - certainly worth catching again sometime.

Headliners Houston 500 hit the stage in front of a nearly empty venue - were was everyone? The band brought a handful of friends from the wilds of Essex, but apart from that it was the same of story of a band playing to just their girlfriends and the other bands on the bill. The lack of much of a crowd didn't seem to diminish the band's performance in the slightest and they attacked their set with as much energy and enthusiasm as when I saw them play a much better attended gig nearer to home recently when they played in Hertford. They played the three songs I'd downloaded from MySpace, and plenty more besides. The band seemed on good form and deserved better than to play to a near empty venue - but I suspect much the same scenario was taking place at venues all over London tonight. 

This is a band who I'm sure would soon start to get themselves noticed if they could get regular gigs in Camden. They were on a hiding to nothing tonight though as everybody seemed to be staying at home to watch the Arsenal Vs Barcelona match. The previous band played to virtually no one as well, and I know the show which was due to take place at The Garage tonight has also been cancelled due to the football.  Football - the enemy of rock 'n' roll? Discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment