Wednesday 29 January 2014

5/9/2006 Teenage Casket Company & Vamps 'N' Gypsies @ Bar Monsta

SubjectTeenage Casket Company & Vamps 'N' Gypsies @ Bar Monsta
PostedDate9/5/2006

Once again Vamps 'N' Gypsies were due on stage very early at Bar Monsta. However, as a couple of the other bands on the bill didn't make it they ended up going on rather later than the original 7.45 start time. Fortunately, a reasonable crowd had gathered by then. This band are always entertaining to watch as well as playing good music, and this was probably one of their better shows. 

As usual, much alcohol was consumed by the band - both before, during and after the show...

'Flash' Danny drinks beer...

Flash Danny ends up on floor.
This is a band who are always out to have a good time, whether they are playing the music themselves, or enjoying watching the other bands. 

Unfortunately, Innocent Rosie and Junction X111 couldn't make the gig for various reasons. Next band were Toybox - a band who I always seem to have missed in the past when they played at this venue as they tend to be on early before I've arrived. To be honest I didn't enjoy their set at all, although it was brightened up by them having probably the best looking drummer I've ever seen. Their music left me cold though. 

Final band of the night were Teenage Casket Company This is a band I've been wanting to see for some time. I first heard of them after I saw their bass player Laney74 play at the 12 Bar Club a couple of years ago in his other band DIP (who incidentally are terrific) then I downloaded TCC's song 'Dial It Up' from Five Miles High and was very impressed. This band certainly don't disappoint live - they describe themselves as a punk version of Bon Jovi, but actually they are a lot better than this sounds! Another good thing is that they don't have a keyboard player - they also lack Bon Jovi's 'cheese' factor so it's all good. In fact it's very good. The band come from Nottingham so don't play in London very often, but I shall certainly be looking out for them again. 

Once again, I ended up getting carried away with the cheaper booze now available at this Camden venue and missed the last tube. I didn't really care by then though, and fortunately had already made sure I didn't have to go to work the next day. Just as well really as I ended up getting pretty wasted and still felt a bit shaky when I got up around 12.30 the following day.  Still, I had an excellent night out and enjoyed some great bands so it was well worth it. 
Bar Monsta is now Camden Rock and one of the dodgiest venues in London. Avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment