Sunday 26 January 2014

15/5/2006 Mikabomb @ the Garage

SubjectMikabomb @ the Garage
PostedDate5/15/2006 1:29:00 PM

As I arrived I was surprised to bump into Seb & Sophie from Freewheeler - not the sort of gig I would expect to meet them at, but it turns out that Sophie was once in a band with Ergi the unfortunate Mikabomb drummer. Actually, Sophie seems to have been in a band with nearly everyone at some point!
The Pippettes were playing as I entered the venue. The three polka dot clad girls put on a bright and poppy '50s inspired show, but to be honest after I'd heard one song I felt I'd heard them all. They look good, but apart from that there isn't much to hold the attention for long.
The Garage is around half full for tonight's benefit gig in aid of Mikabomb's drummer Ergi:

Ergi Ahmed fell ill on 10 December 2005, and was rushed to hospital with septicaemia (blood poisoning). The infection led to a near-fatal, week-long coma which Ergi miraculously survived. However, doctors were forced to amputate both of his legs below the knee.
Ergi is now in good spirits, racing about in a wheelchair and beginning training with prosthetic legs, but is unable to work to support his wife and kids. He'd prefer you to imagine he was in a motorbike accident and landed in a crocodile-infested swamp, incidentally. www.mikabomb.com

The band put on a fun show with Debbie Lane filling in on drums. Mikabomb appeared to have a guitarist missing as Anko wasn't on the stage - I was told later that she has left the band. I was disappointed to hear so few songs from the first album, but it was good to see the band play a longish set as headliners.

No comments:

Post a Comment