Wednesday 29 January 2014

19/9/2006 Vamps 'N' Gypsies, Lethal Fixx, and Red Star Rebels @ the Underworld

SubjectVamps 'N' Gypsies, Lethal Fixx, and Red Star Rebels @ the Underworld
PostedDate9/19/2006

This was all at rather short notice - Faster Pussycat and Enuff Z Nuff were supposed to be the headliners at this show. A story overheard in the toilet was that Faster Pussycat's singer had decided he wasn't being paid enough so had backed out of playing the gig.  I have no idea what happened to Enuff Z Nuff. Consequently, Red Star Rebels were now the headline act, with Lethal Fixx and Vamps 'N' Gypsies supporting. They were looking to add a fourth band, but I don't think a suitable act could be found in time.

Vamps 'N' Gypsies were planned to go on second at around 8.30 so I timed my arrival accordingly. Unfortunately, when I walked into the Underworld at 8.25 they were already halfway though their set!  As a fourth band couldn't be found to fill up the bill they had to go on earlier than planned. The band turned in a good performance and looked like they were thoroughly enjoying playing at this famous venue for the first time! The first of many appearances at this venue I hope... 



I'd seen the main band I'd gone there to see and the Newcastle Brown started to take hold after that... 

Lethal Fixx were on next, but as they failed to impress me musically last time I saw them I didn't pay them much attention - yet another band on this scene who pay more attention to style than substance - as I guess their fans do too. Most these band's music goes in one ear and out the other. Girls seem to like them though:

They were followed by Red Star Rebels, who are good at what they do, but I got tired of them quite quickly as I'd seen them so many times. At least their singer has ditched that hat now.

As usual we were all being kicked out of the Underworld at 10.30 - who the hell want's to go home that early?  It's not like it was a weekend and there was a club after - there were plenty of people in there willing to spend money at the bar if it had stayed open. I have some time ago come to the conclusion the Underworld is managed by idiots. 

I was not the only one of the crowd to think it was far too early to be going home, so we searched some neighbouring watering holes in search of booze and amusement. Bar Monsta was our first port of call, but it was full of indie and emo kids and the band playing did nothing to excite so we tried the Good Mixer. Nothing much appeared to be happening there either so we ended up in the Dublin Castle and at around midnight I made the unusually sensible decision to catch the last tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment