Wednesday 12 February 2014

7/3/2007 The Transmitters @ the Dublin Castle

SubjectThe Transmitters @ the Dublin Castle
PostedDate3/7/2007

I haven't been to the Dublin Castle recently so it makes a change from going to my other regular haunts in Camden. It's not that busy on this Wednesday night. I arrive as the Lip Clicks are playing, they are OK but nothing to get excited about - standard Xfm style indie fodder with no particular songs that stand out. Their Stratocaster wielding lead guitarist turns out a good solo though.

I haven't seen the Transmitters for a while, but they are still good - it's nice to see something different from the more rock 'n' roll bands I normally go and see.

Actually, I very rarely (apart from Honeykill) go and see bands with keyboard players, but Konrad in this band manages to add something to the band's sound rather than just making up the numbers as many keyboard players seem to. The overall sound of the Transmitters is indie, but Matt's energetic buzzsaw guitar and Sarah's vocals add a punk edge while Aaron's fluid and warm bass playing adds a  funky flavour. It's quite an agreeable mix of sounds and styles.

The last band are The Vigours - another very Xfm friendly sounding band, although I've yet to hear any of tonight's bands on the station. They aren't really my cup of tea, but I have to admit they are rather good and seem to have some decent tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment