Saturday 22 February 2014

1/5/2007 Faster Pussycat & BulletBoys @ The Underworld

SubjectFaster Pussycat & BulletBoys @ The Underworld
PostedDate5/1/2007 1:49:00 PM

This was the first time I've seen either of these bands, although I don't think they have many original members in each...

I'm not that familiar with BulletBoys, and like the headliners I think that had their heyday back in the 80's. I thought starting their set with an AC/DC cover was weak for an established band with I assume a few albums under their belt - it suggests they are less than confident of the quality of their own material. To be fair, it was a pretty good version of 'Riff Raff' - but it's a song better saved to end the set or encore with.  On their current tour BulletBoys feature possibly the UK's most in demmand  ROCK bassist Laney74 - so a good show is assured. 

I suspect the band's frontman may be the only original member of the current band - he certainly looks noticably older than the rest of them. A friend said to me recently of another band that they "try too hard" - well this guy to me is the most obvious example of this I've ever seen! He stares wide eyed and gurns so much during the BulletBoys performance that his face must have really ached after this show!  Maybe he just has super-fit face muscles after twenty years of doing this? I guess if this was a stadium show when you have to act even MORE larger than life than you normally would fronting a band then it would have gone un-noticed, but when you are subjected to this really close up in a club venue for half an hour or so it starts to verge on scary. Or maybe that's just me? That said - the energy level was very high and they really did make the effort to put on the most entertaining show possible - so credit is due for giving maximum value for money.

I have to confess to only owning one Faster Pussycat album - their self titled debut. Therefore, I'm not likely to be that familiar with much of their set. Fortunately, the first album is represented by several songs tonight - including virtually all my favourites so it's value for money as far as I'm concerned.

think guitarist Brent Muscat is the only original member in this lineup - the current bass player and singer seem to do a pretty good job though. The present singer is a pretty good frontman although not having a voice anything like the distinctive rasp of original guy Taime Downe. It's a good show and I get to hear the songs I want to hear - predictably enough ending with 'Babylon' so I go home happy!

PS: A little research has just revealed that there now appear to be two 'Faster Pussycats' doing the rounds - the other one also featuring just one original member - singer Taime Downe! Have a look as his MySpace page and read his latest blog entitled 'Faster Pussycat is NOT playing Europe in April & May.'   Meeeow!

No comments:

Post a Comment