Saturday 15 February 2014

19/3/2007 Buckcherry @ the Intrepid Fox

SubjectBuckcherry @ the Intrepid Fox
PostedDate3/19/2007 10:39:00 AM

Sometimes something crops up that seems too good to be true. I couldn't go to the Backyard Babies/Buckcherry show at the Mean Fiddler this week as I'd already bought a ticket to see Towers Of London the same night before that gig was announced. I'd already seen both bands fairly recently so I wasn't that gutted, but when I heard that both bands would be playing a free show at the Intrepid Fox the night before then I knew that was a gig I had to go to!

Beyond All Reason were playing when I arrived - they seemed OK, but nothing special. Unfortunately, Backyard Babies had pulled out of the acoustic set they were due to play due to illness, but that still left Buckcherry's electric set to look forward to so all was not lost.

As you can imagine, the place was rammed! I think the numbers had been controlled more than at the recent Zodiac Mindarp show at this venue due to the presence of a TV crew who were videoing the show. There was a barrier at the front which restricted things a bit more - I guess it was there so the TV people could get some good camera angles, which would have been virtually impossible with people crammed right up to the front of the stage. As the TV people and TotalRock were sponsoring this free show you can't complain really - I just felt  very lucky to actually be there at all. I imagine this would have been the smallest UK venue Buckcherry have ever played, so it was certainly felt something pretty special to be present at. 

Buckcherry played for about 30 minutes. The sound was surprisingly good, although it was difficult to actually see very much unless you had got there early enough to make sure of a good place at the front - and there wasn't much room there. I didn't have much luck getting any decent pictures as I was too far back.

Buckcherry were on good form and turned in an excellent performance - I think this band are currently one of the very best in their genre. Needless to say, the crowd loved it! The band ran through songs from all three albums, obviously including their recent single 'Crazy Bitch' and predictably enough finishing with 'Lit Up'. A really excellent night even without Backyard Babies. 

I'm sure some of the purists aren't too keen on the new Intrepid Fox as it's so different to the old one. Personally, I love it! The building itself may not have the character and charisma, or the history of the old one, but those points aside I think it's a great improvement in almost every way and I think I'm going to be dropping in there quite a lot this year - even without events like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment