Saturday 8 February 2014

6/12/2006 MC5 @ the Underworld


 I wasn't sure about going to this show - I'd seen (the surviving members of) the legendary MC5 at Download last year and been rather underwhelmed, although I thought the Dictators H.D.Manitoba was great fronting the band.  I assumed he'd still be fronting the band again this year. I'd also seen the MC5's Wayne Kramer playing in (nearly) supergroup Mad For The Racket a couple of years or so ago and also been less than impressed.  However, having recently seen the reformed New York Dolls featuring the only two surviving members and really enjoying the show, and a certain Mr Brett Callwood (who happens to be writing a book on the MC5) bending my ear about how I shouldn't miss this I decided to go. My decision was also strongly influenced by a friend giving me a DVD of the amazing MC5 documentary 'A True Testimony' a few days earlier.  I believe this film is quite hard to get hold of now as I think it was withdrawn for legal reasons as soon as it was released in the USA - it's well worth seeing if you ever get the chance!

I was quite surprised to still be able to get a ticket only a couple of days before the show as I expect it would have sold out some time ago. I arrived at the Underworld to find the place packed though, so I assume it did sell out in the end. I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the show that much after my previous experiences, but I ended up really glad I went!

MC5 explode the Underworld!

Wayne Kramer, Michael Davis, and Dennis Thompson took to the stage - accompanied by a guitarist from Sisters Of Mercy (no - I can't remember his name - I'm not a journalist and I don't take notes) an odd choice at first but a player who fits in well and plays like he means it. Although there were three mics set up front of stage, no singer appeared. The band kicked off with 'Rambin' Rose' - the opening track from their debut classic live album. Wayne Kramer assumed lead vocal duties for this and the following two songs. Then the first of the 'guest vocalists' appeared - Mark Arm of Mudhoney.

I was still expecting Handsome Dick Manitoba, but I have heard since that he was in his bar in NYC at the time. Mark Arm also seemed an odd choice to me, but although I didn't think much of his taste in shirts he did a fine job fronting the band and really threw himself into it with gusto. A few songs later another guest singer appeared - Lisa from the BellRays!  I certainly didn't expect this - but WOW did she perform! Being from Detroit like the MC5 themselves she also added a touch of authenticity. She really belted it out - seeing her perform the song I know better covered by Young Heart Attack 'Over And Over' was one of the highlights of the show. Guest vocalists aside, the rest of the band were really firing on all eight cylinders - this was a far more fired up and powerful unit than I saw at Donington last year. In spite of my reservations after seeing them last year, what I saw at the Underworld was a damn fine rock 'n' roll band! Wayne Kramer in particular appeared in fine form and really seemed to be enjoying himself.  Predictably enough, the set finished with the classic 'Kick Out The Jams' (Mark Arm taking the lead on this after trading places with Lisa throughout the set) and the place was going pretty wild.

As the band went on pretty late I was expecting this to be the end of the show as the Underworld is notorious for it's early curfews. However, the crowd demanded - and got, not one but two encores! Good thing Brett persuaded me to go to this show - I'm really glad I did. Like the New York Dolls recently, this is a band I'd go and see for sure if they come back next year - and even even they never come back I'll always be able to remember seeing a great show by the legendary MC5 even if it was only 3/5 of the original lineup.

Although my feeble pictures and words can hardly even begin to convey the excitement of this gig, I have posted four short clips in my video section which might help give you some idea what this show was like...

No comments:

Post a Comment