Saturday 15 February 2014

30/3/2007 Lullaby Project @ Papermill

SubjectLullaby Project @ Papermill
PostedDate3/30/2007

I started off Saturday night with a visit to Shoreditch to see the new band formed by ex-Suffrajets vox/guitar girl Alex. The venue was the Papermill - rather an odd venue that I think is more accustomed to hosting dance acts and MCs. It seems more like walking into a hotel lobby than a live music venue, but the bar is long and serves Directors on draught so I'm happy.  The room the band are playing in is off to the side and it's like walking into what appears to be a large tent set up inside the building - strange, but not in a bad way.

Alex's new band Lullaby Project are in fact so new that this is their first ever gig. Ex-Stereo Dance Party girl Laura is on bass and Honeykill vox/guitarist Jimi is helping out on drums.

There are a few familiar faces from Suffrajets gigs in the audience to give their support to Alex and the general vibe is relaxed - although Alex herself seems understandably nervous. As it turned out she needn't have been as the band's first gig goes off pretty well.

The musicians are obviously enjoying themselves and there are some strong sounding new songs with punchy guitar parts. Lullaby Project are fun, and this is a band I know straightaway that I want to go and see again.

By around ten the band have finished their set - there is no other band to follow, just some dance and MC stuff. It's far too early to go home on a Saturday night, so I head off for the west end. The Intrepid Fox is my first port of call for a couple of drinks - the place is packed, but the vibe is good. This west end rock institution seems to be thriving in it's new larger home and I always enjoy dropping in when I'm in the area. A couple of bottles of Newcastle Brown later and I head for Decadence - bumping into some friends heading the same way as I cross Charing Cross Road. I meet some more friends in the St Moritz and booze is drunk and fun is had until chucking out time.  A good end to a most agreeable evening - and unusually, no missadventures befall me either in Decadence or on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment