Saturday 22 February 2014

19/4/2007 JOANovARC @ Hertford Marquee

SubjectJOANovARC @ Hertford Marquee
PostedDate4/19/2007 2:39:00 PM

This show was was great value for money at £4 for four bands - and it wasn't even in Camden! 

First band on the bill of this female fronted rock night was Nothing Gained. They were a rather average and generic nu-metal type band of the sort made fashionable by the likes of Kerrang! They were decent enough musicians, but have yet to learn the importance of actually writing some good songs. The only thing to distinguish them was their singer, who although seeming a bit nervous was quite good and had a nice voice when she chose to use it instead of screaming.

Next up were Puck - a band I hadn't seen or heard before, although I had seen them on gig listings so they must get out and play a bit. The band were more of a traditional melodic hard rock band, with an emphasis on memorable songs compared to the previous act. The singer was classy, and also good at fronting a band - although her over-use of the 'devil horns' finger gesture seemed a bit cliched. 

JOANovARC were excellent as usual - I am running out of things to say about them after seeing them so many times. As normal, they impressed the punters with their performance and quality songs - and I'm sure won over many fans of the other bands as they usually do. There was yet another new song aired, and although I don't know what it was called it made a strong impression on first hearing. I didn't have much luck with getting any decent pictures at this gig - partly due to the venue's new (and not needed most nights) barrier getting in the way, and also the combination of smoke machine and stage lighting buggering things up. Oh well - at least the music was good!


I had to miss last band Crimzen as my lift was leaving - a small price to pay as I was able to enjoy a few beers for a change at this excellent venue - something I've never been able to do in the past as I've always driven there.

No comments:

Post a Comment