Saturday 22 February 2014

18/5/2007 Zombina And The Skeletones @ the Old King's Head

SubjectZombina And The Skeletones @ the Old King's Head
PostedDate5/18/2007

I arrived at the Old King's Head to find it packed! I don't know if all these people had turned up to see the band or the the Blood & Velvet goth club - maybe both? I've never seen anything like this amount of people in the place before. Good to see it so busy though - even if it did take longer to get served at the bar than usual.  And they ran out of Newcastle Brown. Again. 

There were supposed to be two support bands, Autonomy Within and Anger Is A Gift, but neither of them bothered to turn up. They never even contacted the venue or promoter to say they couldn't make it. Losers. Still, as the place was so full I don't think anyone missed them...

I've been reading about Zombina And The Skeletones in the excellent Bubblegum Slut fanzine for several years now, but have never been able to see them as this Liverpool band rarely play in London. They were pretty good tonight and I really enjoyed the show. It was difficult to get a good view as the place was rammed, but their horror/punk/pop was catchy and engaging. I didn't know any of the songs, but that didn't stop me enjoying the performance.

Plenty of people were singing along, so the band obviously did bring quite a few people to the gig. They were entertaining enough to make me want to go and see them again.
This venue in Holloway Road later became The Gaff and was really cool for a couple of years until closing to become a Costa coffee joint. That's closed now too...

No comments:

Post a Comment