Tuesday 27 May 2014

28/9/2008 Men & Gods @ The Purple Turtle

SubjectMen & Gods @ The Purple Turtle
PostedDate9/28/2008

Another night at one of my favourite venues. Some places I think "Oh no - not there again!", but if it's one of my favourite bands I'll still go. It has it's faults, but I actually look forward to going to the Purple Turtle even to see bands that I'm not crazy about. Men & Gods are good enough to make me go to dodgy venues, so them playing here is a result!  They are one of those bands who I never tire of seeing as every show is different - even if they played the same setlist it would still be a different performance - and with this band you always get a unique performance rather than a band just going through the motions. And in any case, they don't even have a setlist and frontman Marc doesn't know exactly what songs they are going to play when he walks on stage.

I'm not going to say too much as it gets hard to write new stuff about seeing the same band over and over again, and my regular readers will have heard it all before - but this lot are always an interesting band to watch.

The standard of musicianship is top rate - a real bunch of musicians musicians - fans of Darrel Bath will understand even though the style of music is quite different. The songs on Men & Gods MySpace don't really give you any idea how good they are live.

As I said earlier, I always look forward to shows at the Purple Turtle. It's usually pretty cheap to get in and they have about four bands on, plus reasonably priced booze and great staff. And tonight extra entertainment is provided by the hand drier in the gents toilet: Sometimes it's not working as some moron has kicked it off the wall, but tonight only the cover is missing and it's still working - and there is a nice display of blue sparks when it's running:

Someone from the Health & Safety Executive would probably have a heart attack, but I love a good firework display!  Actually, I found watching the sparks in the hand drier more entertaining than the other bands on the bill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment