Friday 2 May 2014

7/3/2008 Hanoi Rocks @ the LA2

SubjectHanoi Rocks @ the LA2
PostedDate3/7/2008

This is a gig I've been particularly looking forward to - and it doesn't disappoint! Even if I hadn't heard their rather good latest album 'Street Poetry' I'd still have been looking forward to this show as Hanoi Rocks have been great every time I've seen them.  The Mean Fiddler/LA2 (delete as applicable) was packed and I assume this was a sold out show. The band were on top form and as good as ever - Mike Monroe is still one of the best frontmen in the business.
Ex-Electric Boy Conny Bloom has been in Hanoi Rocks for a couple of years or so now, but fits in so well he looks like he could have been in the band all along. He and original guitarist/main songwriter Andy McCoy complement eachother perfectly swapping lead lines and solos throughout a storming set. It seemed odd at first seeing a bald bass player in this band, but AC does a fine job throwing shapes and beefing up the sound. It's drummer Lacu's last tour with Hanoi as he's leaving to join another band back in Finland, but he still looks like he's really enjoying himself.

The current setlist has maybe a bit too much new stuff in it for some people, but I think the new album is excellent and enjoy hearing plenty of songs from it. The band's two best albums 'Back To Mystery City' and 'Two Steps From The Move' are also strongly featured though. Naturally we get 'Taxi Driver' and (in my opinion their best song) 'Tragedy' from their earlier days as well, plus a terrific version of their Creedance cover 'Up Around The Bend' in the encore. Obviously, there isn't time for all my favourites in the set, but they did a bloody good job of picking most of them to play tonight. - this is definitely the best rock 'n' roll show I've seen so far this year! 

As I got there late I didn't bother to fight my way to the front to try and get some decent pictures and contented myself from enjoying what was a very good show from a more comfortable vantage point further back. You can find a poor quality couple of minutes of 'Taxi Driver' in my videos section though - it's from my digicam so the sound is pretty distorted!

PS: This venue (along with several others) has since been demolished to make way for London's 'Crossrail' project.

No comments:

Post a Comment