Thursday 8 May 2014

31/5/2008 The Cut Outs @ 333 Motherbar

SubjectThe Cut Outs @ 333 Motherbar
PostedDate5/31/2008

Summer is nearly here.  This means two things: When I go out to gigs it's actually still light, and also there is a reduction in the quality of the pictures in my blogs. This is because I like to travel light when I can and not take a jacket with me - saving using the cloakroom at music venues (if there is one) or the hassle of having a carry my jacket round all the time or keep a close eye on it if I put it down anywhere. This means I don't have loads of pockets to stash things like cameras in - there is only really room for cash/keys and my phone in my jeans so the camera normally stays at home. The camera in my phone is pretty easy to use as there is no focus to worry about, so in theory at least it's actually better in some ways for taking pictures at gigs as it's quicker not having to focus - the auto-focus in my 'proper' camera doesn't work if the light is poor, which it often is at gigs. However, although my phonecam takes nice bright clear pictures outdoors, it's not very good in poor light - even now I have finally figured out how to make it's flash work. The flash is only really effective at very close range anyway.

So I arrive at 333 Motherbar in fashionable Shoreditch in broad daylight - which feels a bit weird.  The place isn't really set up for live music at all - no lighting, not even a stage, and PA is a bit feeble. No real ales or even Newcastle Brown at the bar either.  However, if there is a band playing there that I like then I'll put up with it. Tonight there is a band I like playing - The Cut Outs. This all girl power-trio are a lot of fun! 

Their music is punchy and dynamic, and packed with good tunes. The band are engaging and charismatic - it's hard not to like them. As you can see from the pictures, it had got dark outside (and inside) by the time the band came on. It wasn't quite as dark in the room as it looks, but you get the picture - no pun intended.

Anyway, the girls brightened the place up with their usual lively performance - but unfortunately that doesn't come across in the pictures. Oh well, the venue might have been poor but the band made it worth the trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment