Thursday 1 May 2014

6/3/2008 Ginger acoustic gig in St Albans

SubjectGinger acoustic gig in St Albans
PostedDate3/6/2008

I've already been to one Ginger gig this week, but one that's only a few minutes drive from home is too good to miss! I arrive at The Horn in St Albans to find it's not at packed as the Water Rats was on Monday, but it's still pretty full. The venue is not much different in size, but has a more intimate feel.

Once again Eureka Machines are supporting and they provide another tuneful and entertaining show.  They are good fun and seem adept at winning new crowds over.

As ever, this Ginger show is different to any other I've attended. The atmosphere at this one is different from the Water Rats, but very good. Ginger has no family present this time, which also changes the vibe. Fortunately, there are no drunk people staggering about spoiling it for others either. The setlist seems fairly similar, and to be honest not as much to my taste as previous shows I've seen - but you can't please everyone. I haven't really listened to the new album enough yet, and there is a fair amount from it in the set so I'm not really getting as much from this show as I could. However, there is the odd surprise as usual and I am pleased to hear the Wildhearts B-side song 'Bang'.

This show is even less of an 'acoustic' show that the one on Monday - now there are two Les Paul guitars on stage - Ginger's trademark stickered one, and Scott Metzger now sports a nice vintage looking Les Paul Deluxe - very nice sound I have to say.
Once again, there is much instrumental jamming - with the other two guitarists having to follow Ginger as he seems to be largely making it up as he goes along - there is no actual written setlist. The man is more chatty tonight and seems in more of an upbeat mood - maybe due to the lack of drunks in the crowd. He mentions that this seems a nice place - I guess it seems so after London. Ginger announces that this will be the last acoustic tour as he feels it has run it's course and he doesn't seem to be enjoying it so much - he mentions that since he's been sober he has enjoyed playing to very drunk people less and less... This was particularly noticable at Monday's gig... However, he eases the audience's obvious disappointment with this news by telling us that he willstill be out playing, but it will be with a full band in future - giving us more for our money. I don't think anyone is going to complain about thatAnd, he reminds us - he will still be out playing with the Wildhearts - this is greeted with much enthusiasm! Then he reveals some news which is greeted with even more enthusiasm - the Wildhearts will be playing a special show in London to record for a DVD - and they will be playing the entire first album plus a load of B-sides!  A lot of people are going to be very excited about this!  Someone in the crowd shouts out "Will it be at the Astoria?" (which would have been my choice of venue) but Ginger says no as they want a location which will look good for the DVD. He goes on to hint at a certain venue, but says he can't reveal the name as it's not confirmed yet.  No - it's not Brixton Academy, which is the most spectacular venue that springs to mind for me. With one, or maybe two new Wildhearts albums being released this year, and no doubt a tour (plus who knows what else Ginger may have up his sleeve?) 2008 seems to have a lot to look forward to for Ginger/Wildhearts fans! 

I am surprised to meet several people that I know at this out of London gig - most of whom have travelled further than me to get to the show. Everybody seems to think it was worth the trip though, and I think we all go home happy.  Personally, it was worth the journey just for the great Wildhearts news - but the Ginger and Eureka Machines performances were very worthwhile bonuses! And I get home after a drive of just over ten minutes - if only I could get home from all gigs as quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment