Wednesday 30 July 2014

6/5/2010 Pussycat and the Dirty Johnsons @ the Dublin Castle

SubjectPussycat and the Dirty Johnsons @ the Dublin Castle
PostedDate5/6/2010

Shame the Westons 7.3% cider is off tonight, but they do have a rather fine pint of Summer Lightning which goes some way towards making up for it. I love it on the rare occasions when I can get real ale in a music venue and the Dublin Castle is usually very good in this respect - in the front bar anyway. 

I'm at the Dublin Castle tonight to see a band who made a big impression on some of us at the Hope & Anchor when we discovered them supporting Girls On Top last week.

The general feeling was 'WOW!'  Sometimes you see a new band and you know instantly you'll be going to see them again. This is one of those bands.

Regular readers will know there are a few bands who keep cropping up over and over again in my blogs - I think you will be able to add Pussycat and the Dirty Johnsons to the list.

They mix rockabilly with a dangerous punk 'n' roll edge, and vocally they also remind me of Patchwork Grace. This is all good! 

I'm told the next band is supposed to be like an 'Indie Suzi Quatro'. This sounds interesting on paper, but turns out to be not 'What it says on the tin'. For a start, Suzi Quatro plays bass, and also she fronts a rock band. Vito and the Vicious are miss-named and a slightly odd mixture - it's just not happening as far as I'm concerned.

She performs well and the guy play fine, but to me it's a miss-matched band that doesn't really gel. Still - you'd have to be pretty good to follow the previous act!

No comments:

Post a Comment