Tuesday 29 July 2014

3/5/2010 Iggy and the Stooges @ Hammersmith Odeon

SubjectIggy and the Stooges @ Hammersmith Odeon
PostedDate5/3/2010

This is one I've been looking forward to since last year - Iggy and the Stooges at Hammersmith Odeon. Unfortunately, as I arrive I find probably the worst support act I've ever seen playing. 

I still have no idea who they were, but some people actually seemed to like the dire techno style racket this 'old enough to know better' duo were making. Maybe they are quite well known but I still thought they were fucking awful.

I'd never seen the Stooges before, so I didn't want to miss the chance to see this legendary band - and unlike the New York Dolls, only one of them is dead. Apart from now having Mike Watt on bass (a good addition) this is the lineup that recorded the classic 'Raw Power' album. They surprise me by firing their biggest guns as the beginning of the set - opening with 'Raw Power' and 'Search And Destroy'. How the hell do you follow that duo?!!!  I think the whole of the 'Raw Power' album get's played during the set along with a few other choice cuts.

To be honest, I'm not blown away by the band. They are good and they play well enough, but like the Sex Pistols a year or so at Brixton they aren't really much different to a pub band - apart from Iggy, who even at 62 years old can still do it! Even now, he's definitely one of the best frontmen in the business! It was worth the ticket price and I'm glad I finally got to see Iggy and the Stooges, but I wouldn't be that bothered if I never saw them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment