Sunday 13 July 2014

10/7/2009 Girl fronted Rock Night @ The Gaff

SubjectGirl fronted Rock Night @ The Gaff
PostedDate7/10/2009

An interesting night of female fronted rock. I arrive at The Gaff looking forward to
quaffing a few pints of real ale - something that's rarely seen at music venues these
days. Unfortunatley it's off, so I ask for the old standby - Newcastle Brown. They've
run out of that as well - disgraceful! Didn't they know I was coming? 

My evening is not getting off to a good start. Unfortunately I've also missed the
opening act Sharron Levy who performed a solo acoustic set.

Quick Ticket To Nowhere are playing when I arrive.

They are a new band to me. In fact they are new to everyone as this is their first
proper gig. They are decent enough musicians, but their lack of live experience is
painfully obvious as they seem oblivious to the fact that there is actually an audience
watching them - it's like looking at people practicing in their bedrooms. However, there
is one thing about this band that really stands out - singer Sara McNay's voice! She
seems a little nervous, and I suspect a little 'Dutch Courage' is evident as well - but
she can really belt it out Janis Joplin style!

It will be interesting to see this blues band with a few more gigs under their belt...

Next up are the Cherry Brakewells - a band who tend to really surprise people the first
time they see them!

They may look like 1970's disco queens, but the sound they produce is heavy, funky
and has a strong ROCK influence - and vocals dripping with soul.

They have some good songs of their own, and then they throw in the odd curveball -
like a Led Zeppelin cover!

This is a band who really have to be experienced live to understand what they are
about.

Last act tonight is iMMa.

Another new name to me, and a solo artist rather than a band. However, this girl has a
really good band to back her up. She sings well and her performance is electrifying.

iMMa works really hard to reach out to the crowd and just owns the room. It's a very
polished performance from an artist who looks very 'trained' - her act just screams' Stage School' and I think this is one very ambitious young lady. She certainly has a lot
more talent than some of the hyped-up dross that radio stations shove down our
throats every day. She's also managed to bag the support slot on the forthcoming
Skunk Annansie comeback tour - nice work! I spend half the set trying to figure out
who iMMa reminds me of - then Craig puts me out of my misery and says Gwen
Steffani! Thanks mate - I wish he hadn't said that now! iMMa makes good use of the
bar as a stage - something which might happen quite often in the Purple Turtle, but not
in The Gaff!


An interesting and entertaining night at The Gaff - let's hope that as promised they get
the beer situation sorted out before my next visit...
PS: This venue has now closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment