Wednesday 13 August 2014

29/5/2011 The Heavy Metal Kids @ The Underworld

SubjectHeavy Metal Kids @ The Underworld
DateCreated6/7/2011 3:13:00 PM

Three gigs I want to get to this Sunday, and having checked stage times it should be easy to get to a couple of them with no time clashes. You know how it is when you have a plan...

was planning to go to Gotham at Islington Academy to see Lilygun - I had a ticket and everything. Lilygun were going to be on nice and early, which gave me plenty of time to get to the other gig I had a ticket for. Then the promoters pulled the show - for reasons unexplained.  Some of the bands who were meant to be playing at Gotham (including Lilygun) then got booked for a last minute gig at Electroworks tonight. However, Lilygun's now much later stage time means I can't go. 

Plan B. Also playing at a mini-festival in London this afternoon: Men & Gods at Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes. I haven't seen this lot for ages and these days their gigs are as common as rocking horse shit so I was looking forward to it. Their original stage time was 4.30 in the afternoon. Then the promoters moved it to 6.00. That would still have given me plenty of time to see them, hang around for a drink or two with the band and still get to Camden for my next gig. So I arrive at the venue in plenty of time. No sign of the band or anyone else I know - just a few indie kids here to see the other bands.  This isn't looking promising.  I check out the bar - they had a decent selection of bottled ales when I was last here for the Pure Rawk Awards a few months ago, but tonight all they have is a choice of two brands of bottled lager at £3.60 for a small bottle - effectively £7.20 pint.  I don't like lager at the best of times so they can stick that up their arses!  Eventually Minz and Alrick from the band wander in and I discover their stage time has now been moved to 8.30. I am less than impressed by this - and the prospect of spending a couple of hours kicking my heels in a sparsley populated venue with a shit overpriced bar.  Apart from Men & Gods it doesn't look a very rock 'n' roll bill either judging by the few band members and their friends and family hanging around. Not for the first time recently my plans have been fucked up by promoters moving the goalposts on the day. Sorry guys but I had to bail as I had a ticket for another gig. 

So leaving Bloombury having paid £8 to NOT see Men & Gods I head for Camden and the only gig out of the three I wanted to see today that the promoters haven't fucked up. Unfortunately it's at one of my least favourite venues, but it turns out to be well worth the effort. There aren't many people in the venue when I get there, so I head upstairs for a (cheaper) drink in the pub - Newcastle Brown was over £4 a bottle in the Underworld a few months ago before the government put all the beer prices up - so they ain't getting any of my cash in THAT bar. 
There's decent ale to be had in the World's End and I soon start bumping into people I know - things are looking up at last. 
Suitably refreshed, it's back downstairs to see the terribly named Pink Cigar - who in spite of their seriously gay name are actually a rather good rock 'n' roll band.


Back upstairs for some more refreshment after Pink Cigar, then it's time for the headliners. Having not been aware of their existance first time round, I've only seen the legendary Heavy Metal Kidsonce before. That was last year when the infamous Gary Holton's place was taken by John Altman AKA 'Nasty Nick' from Eastenders. This seemed quite appropriate - an actor replacing another actor as the band's frontman. I thought John Altman did a good job fronting the band and fitted in well, but I always had the feeling in the back of my mind that when he was onstage he was just an actor playing a part. Then again, isn't that what a good rock frontman does anyway? Altman jacked it in recently to have a go at an acting career in L.A., but I guess there is no bad feeling as he is present in the crowd tonight having his picture taken. So how else do you replace someone as charismatic as the late Gary Holton who was virtually a Cockney 'Bon Scott'? (He was even considered to replace the late AC/DC singer at one point) Amazingly, the band have found somone who fits the bill perfectly - ex-Girl and (still) L.A.Guns frontman Phil Lewis.

This guy is a great choice for this band - he's got the image, and plenty of stage presence and charisma. No offence to John Altman, but Phil Lewis is more convincing in the rock 'n' roll frontman role - let's face it, he's had a lot more experience.

I enjoyed the Heavy Metal Kids show at The Garage last year, but this is definitely better and the current lineup 'gels' more. Mr Lewis in particular seem to be having a great time and is really in his element.

The whole band look really into it, and the crowd certainly are too - this is for sure one of the best rock 'n' roll gigs I've been to so far this year.

Not sure exactly what the crash helmet with the sparklers sticking out the top and the zombie head in an ice bucket are all about, but what the hell - at least an effort is being made to put on a show.

After the inevitable encore the band return with Phil dressed up surprisingly smartly for some ballad type crooning action. Well sort of.

Then there's just time for a quick blast of some more rock 'n' roll before the venue's curfew. Naturally, the setlist consisted mainly (maybe completely) of old material and the single from the recent John Altman era 'Uncontrollable' was absent, but needless to say we got oldie 'Delirious' which sounds uncanilly like the recent song.  This new Heavy Metal Kids lineup is only supposed to be temporary and for a few shows only, but as Phil leaves the stage after the encore he says "See you in August" so maybe this arrangment might last a little longer than originally planned? I'd certainly buy another ticket to see another show as good as this...

No comments:

Post a Comment