Sunday 31 August 2014

24/3/2012 The Cut Outs @ Buffalo Bar

SubjectThe Cut Outs @ Buffalo Bar
DateCreated3/26/2012 4:32:00 PM

Another night that doesn't go according to plan.

A nice and easy venue to get to for me - what could go wrong? Unlike the last couple of weekends the trains I need are actually running.

I made a point of finding out beforehand what time the band are due on stage - not wanting to spend ages in the venue waiting for them as the venue bar is shit.

I arrive in plenty of time at Islington's Buffalo Bar and find the band's gear apparently set up but no sign of them appearing imminently. As it's still a while before their stage time I sneak out to the Wetherspoons pub round the corner for a livener before the gig.

I'm back by 10.00 when The Cut Outs should be taking to the stage. There is now a band playing, but it's not them!
It's some genric looking and sounding indie outfit - they aren't bad or anything - OK if you like that sort of thing but it's not what I'm here to see. I check the bar to see if they serve anything at all I may actually want to drink - it's still shit.

The support band must have only just started their set so assuming the normal 30 minute support set time and 15 minutes for changeover I have plenty of time to nip back upstairs for another pint or two in the pub - there's certainly nothing to keep me in the Buffalo Bar surrounded by indie kids and Xfm scenesters. So, half an hour or so later after sampling a couple more of the beverages on offer at the Wetherspoons Beer Festival (White Adder and Monkey Wrench - both quite nice)
I venture back into the venue. The indie band are still playing!
Fortunately they finish soon after I return. I notice a couple of other leather jacketed rocker types who are also here to see The Cut Outs and they are also less than happy about the situation as they too were expecting a 10.00 start time.
Eventually The Cut Outs take to the stage nearly an hour late - through no fault of their own. I had my evening well planned, and for once I didn't cock it up myself: See The Cut Outs and then get a particular train home in time to see the last few songs by the cover band and enjoy the late bar in my local. before a short stagger home.

Thanks to whoever is running tonight at The Buffalo Bar it's all gone tits-up.

The Cut Outs seem on good form and are playing some new songs. The bloke on the desk seems to be doing a decent job and the band sound great. There is a reasonable crowd and atmosphere in the venue, but it's not as full as it could be considering it's Saturday night.

This 2/3 female power trio have had trouble hanging onto their drummers over the past couple of years - the original girl departed after spending a long time with the band, and the guy who replaced her only lasted about a year. This is the second time I've seen the band play with the new bloke - let's hope they can hang onto this one. The band seem to give a good account of themselves and their distinctive brand of bouncy pop/rock is going over well. However, I have to leave halfway through their set if I'm to catch my train - very annoying as if they had hit the stage at the appointed time I could have caught their whole set with time to spare.

The next train would have meant me getting back two hours later and missing the pub completely - sorry girls!

Another evening bollocksed up by a promoter moving the goalposts - this happens too often.

I get off the train in time to catch the last half hour of the cover band's set in my local. They are competant enough musicians but their performance is very dull and pedestrian. However, there is another hour's drinking time after they finish and a few pints of Abbot Ale finishes the night off nicely as the hour goes forward to summer time. I'd already taken the precaution of turning my alarm clock off to sidestep the 'losing an hour' issue. That idea sort of backfired on me as I then spent most the next day asleep....

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete