Monday 11 August 2014

9/2/2011 Transmitters & Lowriders (not) in Kentish Town.

SubjectTransmitters & Lowriders (not) in Kentish Town.
DateCreated2/10/2011 3:21:00 PM
PostedDate2/10/2011 7:21:00 AM

A bit of a quiet week as far as gigs are concerned. They seem to be like buses - none for ages, and then two come along at once! The Lowriders are playing at Bullet Bar in Kentish Town, and The Transmitters are playing up the road at the Bull & Gate. Looking at the timings and the fact that I can walk from one venue to the other in 8 minutes it looks like I should be able to see both bands without missing much of either. Well that was the theory anyway...

The Transmitters are supposedly on at 8.30 at the Bull & Gate and I arrive with about ten minutes to spare - only to find the band's stage time is 8.45.  Things are already starting to go wrong - The Lowriders are due on stage down the road at 9.00.  I can only hope things are running late like the last couple of times I've been to Bullet Bar....

So 8.45 comes and goes - and the Transmitters are not on stage. Well, they are actually - apart from their singer. No one seems sure where she is or what she's doing, although she is apparently in the building. 15 minutes goes by and there's still no sign of her - I'm wondering if we have some kind of female Axl Rose here?  Just after nine and I'm on my second pint when the diva finally appears. I've got to admit Roxi looks and sounds good.

She has excellent stage presence - when she eventually gets on the stage. The band's indie pop/rock stylings combine well with their singer and they aren't really like any other band on the circuit.

It's probably over halfway though their show that I reluctantly bail to try and catch at least some of the Lowriders set down the road...

Eight minutes after leaving the Bull & Gate I walk into Bullet Bar - and about a minute later The Lowriders finish their last song. FAIL. I feel bad.  I've only seen this band once before, but I was very impressed. They don't play in London often, and tonight ironically due to their professional attitude and starting/ending their set dead on time while someone less professional didn't I've missed virtually their whole set.  The minute I heard was pretty good though - I hope I don't have to wait another couple of years or so before I get a chance to see them again...

I was hoping that since my last visit to Bullet Bar two or three weeks ago they would have had time to sort the bar out. I hoped in vain.  There is STILL no beer on tap!  Therefore, I see no reason to spend another minute (or any money) in this venue - I'm out of here! Just as well it was free to get in.

The Tranmitters will have just finished their set, so I don't see much point going back to the Bull & Gate, although at least I could get a decent pint of London Pride in there.  Camden beckons. A few minutes later I find myself in the Hawley Arms quaffing some very fine (if overpriced) ale I forget the name of. I'm surprised they let me as as I don't have my skinny jeans on.  No one I know in there so I head for the World's End where I find the Old Speckled Hen quite acceptable (why is it lower strength when served on tap in pubs compared to the bottle?) but no one I know in there either. There aren't any familiar faces in the Dublin Castle either, but it is Wednesday night after all. The Westons organic cider is rather fine and very strong though - one for the road! 
PS: The Bull & Gate closed as a live music venue in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment