Wednesday 27 August 2014

28/1/2012 Lilygun @ The Intrepid Fox

SubjectLilygun @ The Intrepid Fox
DateCreated1/29/2012 4:05:00 PM

Another ineptly planned night by myself. 
It should have been easy enough on a Saturday - get the weekly shop out the way, load up the washing machine and put it on 'Delay' to run overnight, find time to play a bit of guitar, and then - Oh shit, I'm gonna be late!

Today I don't just seem to be badly organised - I can't even tell the time properly!

I get off the train feeling really bad 'cos I'm think I'm going to be over an hour late - then I realise I'm actually running an hour earlier than I thought I was. I feel like I've been in a time warp or something - what's going on? And NO - I hadn't been drinking.

So I arrive at the Intrepid Fox guessing Lilygun will take to the stage around 8.30. Wrong - they are already halfway through their set when I arrive.  Even though they are first on a bill of four bands there is quite a good crowd in, and they seem to like what they hear.

I was expecting the sound to be a bit crap in the small upstairs room of this pub, but it's actually surprisingly good - although I hear later that it wasn't so great on stage for the band. James Ford's guitar isn't as crushingly loud and heavy as at Lilygun's recent show in Islington - shame 'cos I liked it like that.

This gig is celebrating the release of the band's new single 'Scum' - a heartfelt jibe at certain persons. Some other new songs also get an airing like the brooding 'Diamonds'.

Frontperson singer/guitarist Anna Christina has great stage presence, although somewhat confined by the limitations of this intimate venue. The band are once again 'between bass players' and the very capable A.J. is standing in for now. Lilygun's mixture of the 3 'G''s Goth, Glam, and Grunge seems to have less glam at the moment, although they have in Belle possibly the most Glam drummer out there - not that you can see much from the few pictures I managed to take. At the end of the set the lovely Anna Christina blows her 'Goth cred' by letting slip a cheeky smile!

Unfortunately I don't really enjoy any of the following metal bands, but if you like that sort of thing it's good value at four bands for a fiver - and Lilygun were good enough value for me on their own. As it's Saturday the Intrepid Fox is packed with the usual mixture of rockers, randoms and tourists who've wandered in by accident - there's no room to move downstairs so it's not the most fun place to be.

I take my customary break to get some fresh air and drool over guitars in the shop windows of Denmark Street, although nothing in particular catches my eye. Just as well really.

Heading back to The Fox for some more beers I don't really enjoy the crowds or the other bands, so in an unusual outbreak of common sense (by my standards) I leave well before midnight for once with plenty of time to catch the train. I don't enjoy freezing waiting for the night bus in January so it's nice to have a more comfortable journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment