Thursday 14 August 2014

23/7/2011 High Voltage festival - Day 1

SubjectHigh Voltage - Day 1
DateCreated8/13/2011 7:47:00 PM
PostedDate8/20/2011 12:31:00 AM

After months of waiting, the High Voltage festival has finally arrived. I've
decided this is the only festival I'll be going to this year - I'm not paying
hundreds of pounds to camp in sites that come to resemble a war zone over
the course of a weekend, get ripped off £20 for parking in a field miles
(literally) away from the campsite and have to carry camping kit and
provisions all that distance from my car, and put up with hundreds of
drunken brats being a pain in the arse, falling on my tent when I am trying
to sleep, etc. 
Compared to Download and Sonisphere High Voltage wins hands down in
my book. For a start a weekend ticket is less than half the price, and I can
go home on the tube instead of having to put up with campsite conditions.
Also, the ratio of bands I actually want to see compared to hyped up shit I
wouldn't cross the street to see is far higher. And not only is there real ale
for the second year running - there is actually a beer festival on site. It ticks
all the boxes. 
Like the first ever High Voltage festival last year, the initial few bands
announced on the bill didn't tempt me enough to part with my cash, but as
more and more bands I was interested in seeing were added I eventually
bought a ticket. I still don't think the bill is as strong as last year, but there
are a lot of bands playing over the two days that I want to see. OK, there
are bands I'd really like to see at Download and Sonisphere as well - but
at High Voltage I'm not paying to see loads of other crap kiddie-metal
Kerrang! hyped bands who I don't want to see. Also, most the bands
playing at Sonisphere this year that I like are ones I saw play there two
years ago anyway - I don't want to go to the same festival twice! Apart
from which, I'll be seeing some of those bands later on this year on their
own tours anyway. So after a week of wet weather Saturday arrives dry,
warm, and at times sunny. This is a good start. 
My arrival coincides with Michael Monroe's arrival on stage.

The ex-Hanoi Rocks frontman turns in a high energy set unusually light on
songs from his former band and heavy on material from his current
'Sensory Overdrive' album - with only 30 minutes to play with at this
festival show he has to leave a lot of songs out from his normal headline
set. Michael has a good band behind him, including his old Hanoi
bandmate Sammi Yaffa on bass along with former New York Doll
Steve Conte on guitar. Wildhearts frontman Ginger quit this band
recently and his spot has been more than ably filled by Backyard Babies
six string demon Dregen - a very popular choice with the fans. Michael
Monroe is still one of the best frontmen out there and always throws
everything into his performance - climbing over the barriers to meet the
crowd, as well as climbing up the stage rigging.

All too soon the set is over, and I head off in search of real ale before
the next band is on - like last year it takes a while to find it among the
various bars on site...

Eventually, after the Beerhunter has tracked down the elusive real ale it's
time for the next band. A blast from the past - the 80's in fact. It's the
fairly recently reformed Skin.

Maybe not so much hair these days, but still plenty of cracking tunes! The
band play really well and sound terrific, and although they aren't one of
the biggest names on today's bill they certainly have a lot of the best songs.
Unlike the way things normally go at big multi-stage festivals and all the
inevitable stage time clashes of bands I want to see - today works out
really well for me: ALL the acts I want to see are on the same stage - I
don't need to go anywhere near the Prog or Metal Hammer stages all day.
In fact there's only one band on the main stage on Saturday that I'm not
bothered about seeing, but first there's a new band I've been looking
forward to checking out. Rival Sons have been getting quite a bit of
airplay on Planet Rock over the past few months - and I've liked what
I've heard. Nothing very original about them - quite a Led Zep/Black
Crowes influence to this band from L.A. along with a trace of stoner
groove and southern swagger. I've heard some good reports about
their album but have held off buying it to see if their performance at this
festival would 'sell' it too me. I'm sorry to say it didn't. 
I did like them, but much like Black Stone Cherry and closer to home
The Answer there wasn't really anything fresh and new on offer here.
I like their style of music and they have some good dynamics going on,
but in both their look and their sound there is little to make them stand
out from all the other bands doing much the same thing. I was underwhelmed .

There is obviously some serious money and management muscle going on
behind the scenes to get so much airplay and major festival slots for a band
who no-one had heard of six months ago. They are a good band, but not
THAT good to justify all the hype. They are pushed as being a very 'organic'
and natural sounding band, but their guitarist relies too much on effects for
his sound for this to be convincing. I'd like to see them play in a small club
with guitars plugged direct into cranked up amps - raw like early AC/DC.
Then maybe they could convince me - until then the jury is out as far as
I'm concerned.

Next up is the ONLY band of the main stage today I'm not bothered about seeing.

I've got nothing against Queensryche at all, but they have never had enough
songs that really grabbed me although I can see they are a very good
band and fine players.

This is my chance to grab something to eat as well as a beer or two
between bands. 
Like the other big festivals, the food and drink onoffer isn't cheap, but I
think the quality is definitely higher. Maybe because it isn't so 'corporate'?
As well as a wide variety of real ales on offer in the beer festival tent
(once you've found it) there is also a terrific selection of food on offer - not
cheap, but carnivores to vegans and everyone in between is catered for.
I just want a burger of some sort, but there is so much choice.

Fed and watered after watching some of Queensryche from afar and then
it's time for some of the best classic rock songs ever.

I've been a bit dubious about seeing the current version of Thin Lizzy in
the past. How can it ever be 'Thin Lizzy' without Phil? People will always
argue about this. On one hand some will say this is just a Lizzy tribute
band - that happens to contain a couple of genuine ex-Thin Lizzy
members. Then again, just because of that it's more 'authentic' than any
mere tribute band? One of the reasons I haven't bothered seeing this band
before is their tendency to only play seated venues. I'm not so old I want
to sit down while watching one of the best ever hard rock bands - it's just
not rock 'n' roll is it? OK, so it's not often I dance at gigs, but I like to feel
the option is there if I want it. Otherwise it all just seems a bit like
'Chicken-in-a-basket time'. Also, I wasn't too sure about them getting in
The Almighty's Ricky Warwick to front the band. I liked The Almighty, and
Ricky has the right Celtic heritage for Thin Lizzy, but he's not a bass player
and sounds nothing like Phil Lynott in the vocal department. However, in
spite of my misgivings I've got to say I thought he did a fine job! Although
he was either empty handed or playing either a Les Paul or an acoustic
guitar during the set he played with passion, and also great respect for
Phil's memory. He certainly won me over.

It goes without saying that the current band are terrific musicians, and
although Skin had some great songs earlier - this set contained
considerably more all time classics than other other band on the bill
over the whole weekend. Michael Monroe also joined the band onstage
at one point to play sax on 'Dancing In The Moonlight'. It was impossible
not to enjoy Thin Lizzy's set simply because they had more great songs
than anyone else. 
Slash also has a fine back catalogue to pick from, even if he can't come
close to matching Thin Lizzy. It's made more interesting by the fact that he
has several different bands to choose from. His first proper solo album that
he put out a couple of years ago now was possibly my favourite album of
the year - it's certainly one of the most interesting to listen to because of
the wide variety of different singers. I was sort of hoping that because of
this there might be one or two 'special guests' lurking in the wings for this
show. Unfortunately there weren't, but guess what? It didn't matter!
Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge sings a few songs on the album, and
because of him singing more songs than anyone else Slash has made him
the singer in the touring band. To be honest he is one of my least favourite
singers on the album. Sure he has a decent voice and knows how to use it,
but he sounded a bit thin and weak to me compared to Axl or the other
singers who appear on the record - Axl being being almost the only
member of (the real) G'N'R not to appear on the album. Myles did a good
job of winning me over with his live performance and charisma - I actually
much preferred the way he sounded live to on record. It was very unusual
to see a 'name' artist play virtually a whole show without saying a
word - Slash just 'let the music do the talking' - and it worked. 

Obviously some of the songs in the setlist were predictable - 'Paradise
City' and 'Sweet Child...' but I wasn't expecting the set to open with
Velvet Revolver's 'Slither'. I'd have expected him to save their stuff for
the next VRshow - but who know's when THAT will be? Another
surprise was 'Haven't Been There Lately' from Snakepit. The lack of
'guest' singersdidn't stop any non-Kennedy songs from the current Slash
album appearing - the touring band's bass player stepping up to the plate
to take Lemmy's place for an excellent version of 'Doctor Alibi'. It was
certainly good to hear Velvet Revolver and Snakepit songs as well as
some G'N'R classics, but songs from the current solo album outnumbered
them, and I have no complaints there. The High Voltage crowd absolutely
loved Slash's set. As is often the case there was the odd 'rock star'
lookalike in the crowd - on this occasion a kid dressed up as 'Slash' in
the front of the audience got picked up on the cameras for the big
screens - 'Mini-Slash' was a big hit with the crowd! I found the whole
set thoroughly enjoyable and for me the best act of the day was Slash.

And so to Saturday's headliners.

This was the first time I'd ever seen metal legends Judas Priest, and as I
knew it would probably also be the last I was looking forward to it.

It was disappointing to hear a few weeks beforehand that half the
band's famous guitar duo had quit the band.

I think the departure of long time member K.K.Downing took a lot of
people by surprise, and I was certainly sad that I wouldn't be seeing
the 'classic' lineup of the band.

However, no time had been wasted signing up a new guitarist to partner
Glen Tipton. I have to say Richie Faulkner the 'new boy' recruited from
well known hard rock/metal covers outfit Metalworks fits in really well
and deserves this break after spending years 'paying his dues' playing
metal covers in Camden. He certainly looked at ease in his new role
and enjoyed a good rapport with the crowd.

Needless to say, as this show was part of the band's 'Epitaph' World
Tour it was largely a 'Greatest Hits' setlist. Not being a massive fan of the
band I'm not familiar with much of their back catalogue anyway so that
was OK by me. The inevitable 'Breaking The Law' , 'Living After Midnight',
'Metal Gods' and 'Hell Bent For Leather' plus 'Electric Eye' and
'Victim Of Changes' were enough to keep me happy.

I couldn't help but chuckle when Rob Halford rolled onto the stage astride his Harley Davidson as is customary - and I overheard a nearby punter refer to it as his 'Mobility Scooter'!

I have to say the 'Metal God' struck me as an odd figure with his frequent costume changes and to me looked a bit out of place.

I have to hand it to Rob (ooer missus!) and say that in the vocal department he was still very impressive at what must now be 60+? Many once mighty rock singers like Plant, Gillan, and Coverdale can't these days hit the high notes that they used to manage - but like the much missed Ronnie James Dio, Halford can still do it. 

Although they certainly weren't my band of the day Judas Priest managed to turn in a powerful and dramatic set with plenty of 'classics' thrown in - which is what High Voltage is all about. 
The only low point in their set for me wasn't their fault - it was during 'Breaking The Law' when some stupid cow decided to start waving a carrier bag in the air as I walked past with a freshly acquired pint of Hobgoblin (tasting much fresher and nicer than normal at this festival) and knocking it flying - virtually a full pint and I ended up wearing most of it! I was less than impressed and told her so. She said she was 'terribly sorry' (which I've no doubt she genuinely was) but it didn't cut much ice with me at the time as by the time I got back to the bar to replace it the bar had shut! As a result I didn't end the Saturday night at the festival in the best of moods, but at least I got home reasonably quickly on the tube and slept in my own bed instead of enduring the horrors of a campsite. All in all a good day out overall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment