Monday 11 August 2014

22/1/2011 Stereo Juggernaut @ Bullet Bar

SubjectStereo Juggernaut @ Bullet Bar
PostedDate1/23/2011 10:00:00 AM

Saturday night. It's my second visit to Bullet Bar recently since it's gone back to it's previous name. Once again, it's free admission. 

There is an extreme metal band playing when I arrive - lots of grunting vocals and they can play well enough, but they don't have any songs. I've lost interest in about 30 seconds - I start wishing I smoked so I'd have an excuse to go outside until they finish playing. I decide to have a pint instead. That idea doesn't last long - they have absolutely NO beer on tap - little bottles of lager or cider only.  It wasn't like this a couple of weeks ago - how difficult is it to run a bar? They can organise security and bar staff, but not kegs of beer? It's not rocket science surely. If they think I'm paying effectively £5 a pint for a couple of bottles of lager I don't even like then they can stick it.  I can go without for a couple of hours. That's the problem with this place - it's a bad location. If this was Camden Town it would be easy to nip out for a crafty pint round the corner and come back for the next band. As it is, this is a venue I don't want to spend any more time in than necessary. As a result I'm in the place for about two hours and they don't make a penny out of me. Not a great way to run a music venue - I'm always happy to pay a reasonable price on the door, and if the bar actually serves something I want to drink I'll spend a good few quid at the bar as well.  The people running this place need to get their shit together...

Eventually, the band we are all here to see take to the stage.

Stereo Juggernaut have brought quite a lot of people to Kentish Town are on good form tonight.

Frontman Ben is playing a Les Paul instead of his usual Stratocaster and the sound is noticably beefier. Although the keyboards and samples are still prominent, the band sound distinctly heavier tonight - maybe also because the sound mix is still set up for the metal band who played before? Tish's bass seems to rumble deeper than usual, and Reuben is a formidable metal drummer anyway - I really like the way the band sound tonight!

Fortunately it's not a non-stop metal onslaught like the previous band, and there is some variety in the set - with slower songs mixed in with the faster louder numbers. 'Fade Away' always stands out as having massive hit potential to me, and unlike the previous band the songs don't all sound the same - so Stereo Juggernaut keep your attention all through their set. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a downer on metal at all - just bands who don't have any decent songs.  Unlike the previous band, Stereo Juggernaut actually have some songs you remember and look forward to hearing again. And you will have that opportunity next month when they are one of the bands playing at the Pure Rawk Awards - always a fun night! 
PS: This venue is now closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment