Friday 25 April 2014

31/1/2008 Honeykill, The Cut Outs, and Tits Of Death @ Metro

SubjectHoneykill, The Cut Outs, and Tits Of Death @ Metro
PostedDate1/31/2008 2:36:00 PM

"It's Honeykill Jim - but not as we know it"

I can't say Metro is one of my favourite venues - the bar is terrible, and they have one of those annoying and inappropriate attendants in the toilet - everyone I know hates them!  Actually, it's an OK venue apart from those two things and it's a good bill tonight so here I am.

Honeykill aren't at their tightest tonight, but I still think it's one of their most exciting shows to date.
All the usual ingredients are in the pot, but hey - who's this?
Some of you may recognise her - yes, it's Alex - ex of the Suffrajets. She has just joined Honeykill and this is her first gig with the band. Her post-Suffrajets band Lullaby Project (also featuring two members of Honeykill) has now taken a back-seat and Honeykill is now her main focus of attention. She is playing and singing some of her songs tonight at well as Honeykill material and this adds a new dimension to the band - in fact it changes the chemistry of Honeykill so much that it seems like a whole new band!
I've never seen Tish and Jimi looking like they are having to much fun onstage, and Alex is obviously well into it too. Honeykill changed up a gear when Alfie joined the band on drums - now they've changed up another gear and interesting things are afoot...

The second band on tonight's bill is also excellent - the dynamic all girl power-trio that is the Cut Outs.
This band have well written catchy tunes, bags of charisma, and are a lot of fun!
Their music is basically pop/punk sounding, but there are a lot of other rock influences in there and they are one of the brightest and liveliest bands I've seen for quite a while. 

There follows an indie/alternative band of dubious virtue who's name I can't remember. There aren't actually bad or anything - just not my sort of thing at all. 

They are followed by an band who's name I can't fail to remember - the fantastically named Tits Of Death! I am a bit perturbed as I watch them set up and notice that there is no longer a drum kit on the stage. It was unusual seeing the Dogbones recently with guitars, two drummers, and no bass player - this band's lineup is even more unconventional: Vox, guitar, keyboards, no drummer, and not one but two bass players!
They are certainly eyecatching and there is plenty happening to keep your attention onstage - but they don't sound as hot as they look and there are no particular songs that stick in my head.
To be fair, I don't think the sound mix was doing them any favours. I'm sure they would be much better with a real live drummer instead of a drum machine though.

And I still think they have one of the best band names ever
PS: This venue has since been demolished (along with several others) to make way for London's Crossrail project.

No comments:

Post a Comment