Saturday 12 April 2014

2/12/2007 Vamps ’N’ Gypsies - The Money Shot @ the Purple Turtle

SubjectVamps ’N’ Gypsies - The Money Shot @ the Purple Turtle
PostedDate12/2/2007

Another mixed bag at the Purple Turtle - this time it's 'The Money Shot', a charity event in aid of the Terrence Higgins Trust. Due to getting delayed by Sainsbury's in New Barnet being so badly managed (I'll spare you the details but that shop is crap) I miss the beginning of Vamps 'N' Gypsies set.  This annoyed me as they started the set with newish song 'Big In America' which I was particularly looking forward to hearing.
The band were good fun as usual and turned in an entertaining performance.  
There are quite a few new songs in their set at the moment - most of which will probably appear on their forthcoming new CD.
Due to the progressively worsening effects of many bottles of Newcastle Brown I may well have got the running order of the rest of the acts mixed up...

The quality slipped drastically for the next band - a very bad metal band who I hadn't seen before. I think they were called Max-something or other. A bloke and a girl shared lead vocals, but neither of them really impressed. The band sounded rather like a crap version of Spit Like This - but with no hot chick bass players.  I think at around this point my camera batteries ran out - and unusually I wasn't carrying any spares. Probably just as well...

The band band was something quite different. I was a bit dubious as I watched them set up - some hippy looking bloke with a guitar, a horn section? Actually, when they started playing they were like a breath of fresh air after the previous band! The singer was a bit crap, but quite a good frontman and their horn powered soul sound managed to get quite a few of the rockers present dancing - no mean feat! I think this band was Defcon Zero?

Pole dancers performed up on the platform over the door at various times throughout the day. I felt a bit sorry for them at times as hardly anyone seemed to notice them up there - so I felt it was sort of my duty to pay them some attention not many other people were. Well that's my excuse anyway. 

Lethal Fixx were next up I think. I haven't been particularly impressed when I've seen this lot before - all image, but not much in the way of decent music - like most bands of the 'sleaze' genre. At least they looked sort of interesting last time I saw them, but this time they just sort of came and went without making much impression of any sort.

Something a bit different next - not a band, but well known sleaze/glam scenesters Voluptua and Nurse KKK with a new act. This involves a sadistic lesbian prison warden and a willingly submissive prison inmate as her victim - and a truncheon, and some blood! I'm not sure if tight latex uniforms are the normal attire in Holloway Prison, but let's grant the girls some 'artistic licence' here...  The girls on stage looked like they were enjoying it as much as their audience - everybody wins!

think I missed Junction 13 - unless I got them mixed up with Lethal Fixx? I believe there were one or two bands on before I arrived - maybe including Kid Kamikaze. It was left to the omnipresent King Lizard to finish the live music - accompanied by Captain Howdy's Flying Circus. I'd seen enough of people hanging up by hooks through their skin, etc at The Forum only a couple of nights previously anyway - it get's old very quickly so I headed for home while there were still some tubes running...

No comments:

Post a Comment