Friday 25 April 2014

20/1/2008 The Dogbones @ the Purple Turtle

SubjectThe Dogbones @ the Purple Turtle
PostedDate1/20/2008

After a few hours recovery from last night it's back to the Purple Turtle again. This time I'm there to see the Dogbones. It's only the second time I've seen this Queen Adreena offshoot, but things are already different from when I saw them at the Dublin Castle not long ago. On that occasion Crispin and Nomi were both playing guitar and there was nobody on bass - this time Nomi is on guitar and Crispin is sporting a low slung Rickenbacker bass with a sound so filthy Lemmy would be proud!
Apart from that, things are unchanged and the unusual twin drummer setup remains.
The two frontpeople swapping lead vocals from song to song also help to keep things interesting.
Apparently, Crispin being on bass duties tonight is an experiment - but it seems to work quite well and he looks to be enjoying himself.

The last band of the night is Brighton mob Vile Imbeciles. They are obviously good musicians, but I can't get into their deliberately idiosyncratic style at all.  Some people seem to enjoy their set though.
Apparently, one of the band is also in 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster - who I would certainly rather see live. In a bizarre twist, the singer does the cliched 'taking the jacket off' after a few songs thing - then towards the end of the set he put's it back on again!  I can't say I enjoyed this band's set at all, but it was worth the trip just to see the Dogbones so I can't complain really.

No comments:

Post a Comment