Sunday 29 June 2014

8/4/2009 Danko Jones @ The Underworld

SubjectDanko Jones @ The Underworld
PostedDate4/8/2009

The last gig I went to was at one of the best venues I know, but now I'm back at one of the worst - well certainly one of the worst run. This show at the Underworld looks sold out, but they haven't even bothered opening the other bar. To add insult to injury, they have put the bar prices up - it's now £4.10 for a bottle of Newcastle Brown! Greedy bastards! It's still only £3 at the Intrepid Fox. and 12 Bar Club. I decide not to let myself get further ripped off at the bar and spend the rest of my cash at the merch stand instead.
Danko Jones shows are always great, and tonight is no exception.

I didn't think the last Danko gig I went to (Hoxton Bar & Kitchen) was quite as good as the previous ones, but this one was back up to par.

The atmosphere was electric - this band has to be one of the best kept secrets in rock. The sheer energy that Danko himself puts into his performance is amazing!
<
There weren't too many songs played from the most recent studio album 'Never Too Loud', but I wasn't bothered to be honest as it seemed a bit bland and overproduced to me compared to the raw, loud, and dirty sound of the early stuff - check out 'I'm Alive And On Fire' and you'll see what I mean. I'm really glad that 'Cadillac' get's played as I don't think it did last time I saw this band. 'Lovercall' from 'Born A Lion' is a highlight as usual, with John Calabrese starting it with that bassline!

JC really is a fantastic bass player - keeping it simple and really holding everything together in a rock solid way.

The songs on 'Born A Lion' are definitely stronger than on any album since, and I'm glad to see that album is well represented tonight. Danko Jones is a bit like AC/DC in that respect - the earlier stuff is the best.
<
Another thing this band has in common with AC/DC is a rock solid rhythm section that really drives things along. This is one of the tightest, meanest sounding bands you'll ever see - and it only takes just these three guys to do it. The sheer power that they kick out is incredible!

If there is one criticism I have of this show, it was that there was far too much talking instead of playing from Danko. I've never seen this at the band's previous gigs, but tonight he talked so much that they could easily have played at least a couple more songs instead. I've got to admit that his banter and acting up for the photographers was entertaining, but I paid to hear rock 'n' roll - not a stand-up routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment