Wednesday 18 June 2014

20/12/2008 No Direction & Neon Diamond @ Camden Rock

SubjectNo Direction & Neon Diamond @ Camden Rock
PostedDate12/20/2008

So I find myself as Camden Rock (formerly Bar Monsta) for the last time? I've always been keen to support the rock 'n' roll bands playing at this venue and Mick the promoter for putting them on, but over the last few months I have been less and less keen on visiting the actual venue due to the changes (all for the worse apart from the reduced bar prices) that have take place.  This is the last night that it will be Mick's 'home' venue as he transfers his operations elsewhere - and to be honest I'm glad. I won't miss the doorless gents toilet and the revolting green decor with terrible red lighting. 

Unfortunately I can't make it in time to see all of Neon Diamond's set, but what I do see is lively and entertaining.

Frontman Mark is always a very energetic performer and throws all the right Jagger/Johanson shapes.


Finnish (or nowdays Anglo/Finnish) rockers No Direction seem to be re-launching themselves after a comeback gig at the Intrepid Fox earlier this year.

The band seem to have a new lease of life now, and they are writing new songs - a few of which get an airing tonight.

After seeing a member of the Quireboys at the 12 Bar Club last night moonlighting with another band, tonight I see an ex-member of another Northern band as Stidi from the Wildhearts is now playing with No Direction. Another Brit who has recently joined No Direction is ex-Toyko Dragons man Adie on guitar.

I think Stidi is a very under-rated drummer. His tight and powerful drumming really drives this band along.

This was an interesting gig for guitar geeks like myself. Frontman Pete is known for normally playing a Gibson Thunderbird bass, but tonight he is sporting a much rarer beast - a Gibson RD bass. Although I can sometimes be seen playing the 6 string version, I've never seen an RD bass before. I ask Pete about it afterwards and he says his new(old) RD Artist bass is far better than the Thunderbird. Also of interest are the tiny new Orange amps that Hannu and Adie are playing through. I'd never seen these before - they are Tiny Terror valve amps and their output is only 15 watts. Amazingly, they are loud enough to gig with (notice they are not miked up) and they sound pretty good too. I want to try one! It's interesting to notice that some players are actually downsizing their amps these days in search of better tone from small tube amps played flat out. Alex from Dead Monroe is gigging with two ancient 15 watt WEM amps and getting a great sound. I love my Fender Twin, but it's bloody heavy to cart about and I usually have it on it's lowest power setting (15W) anyway so this is giving me food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment