Monday 23 June 2014

15/1/2009 TAT @ The Underworld

SubjectTAT @ The Underworld
PostedDate1/15/2009

Although they are a London band, TAT gigs in the UK have been a rare thing in the past year - and it looks like they might be even more scarce in the next 12 months so I didn't want to miss this one. I arrive at the Underworld to find the price of a bottle of Newcastle Brown has gone up to £4.10!  After only two bottles of that I've spent more on beer than my ticket cost on the door!  I resolve not to buy any more drinks at this gig. I wish they'd knock the Underworld down instead of the LA2...  Bring back The Garage I say! Speaking of that much missed Islington venue - surely there is a greater need for it than ever now that we have lost three other London venues in the last week - The Astoria, LA2, and Metro.
I arrive late (what's new?) for reasons I won't go into here and am not in the best frame of mind to enjoy a gig. Support band The Exposed are still playing when I arrive, but fail to connect with me at all - but maybe I'm just not in the mood. Fortunately TAT manage to cheer me up.

This band have been good every time I've seen them over the past few years, but the past year of so's touring (mainly in the USA) has made them a tighter and more powerful unit.

Frontperson and main songwriter Tatiana has a very 'in your face' stage presence and maintains a high energy level throughout the band's set. That's not to say that the other two members of the punk power trio are slacking! There's a change mid-set as bassist Nick straps on a Gibson SG and takes over 6 string duties and lead vocals for one song while Tatiana knocks out the basslines.

It's a good way of breaking up the set and keeping things interesting, and Nick's SG sounds pretty damn good. The band play for over an hour, so we get pretty good value for money and a set which includes some older songs as well and prominently featuring the band's new album 'Soho Lights'.

The band maintain a very high energy level throughout, and Tatiana in particular seems to be really excited about playing a rare 'hometown' show with members of her family in the crowd.  It's odd seeing drummer Jake playing with his 'main' band as I think the last couple of times I've seen him play he's been depping with another band at the 12 Bar Club - in fact he's totally changed his hair I don't actually recognise him at the bar before the show. For the first half hour or so after I arrive at the Underworld I'm really not having a good time, but TAT manage to cheer me up quite a bit with their upbeat punk/pop and some decent tunes - enough to make me buy their album at the merch stall. Â The band are going to be very busy on the Vans Warped tour in America in the summer, so I hope it's not going to be another year before they play in London again. How about a warm-up show in London before heading out on tour in the USA?

Needless to say, after a gig at the Underworld the security twats are trying to throw everyone out almost as soon as the show has finished (not giving the band much of a chance to flog their merch) but it's not like I wanted another beer at those prices even if the bar was still open.  I know the Dublin Castle will still be open, so I head over there for a couple of pints of my favourite (that's available in a pub) lethal cider that they have on tap before just managing to get the last tube home. Result!  

No comments:

Post a Comment