Saturday 7 June 2014

17/11/2008 Cherry Brakewells @ The Fly

SubjectCherry Brakewells @ The Fly
PostedDate11/17/2008

It's a while since I've been to The Fly and there have been some changes: The stage has been moved over to the other side of the downstairs room, and a bar has been installed where the stage used to be. Obviously, this is a great improvement as there was no bar downstairs before! 

However, I'm not here just to prop up the bar - I'm here to see the Cherry Brakewells.

I've been to see this band several times since I discovered them a few months ago on the same bill as Dead Monroe at the Rhythm Factory.

They have really impressed me each time - enough to make me get their album.

Although I like their album a lot, it's live that they really shine.

Although their CD is well produced and sounds very polished, it doesn't give you any idea how good this band is in a live situation.

Put this band on a stage in a club in front of an audience and you get the real Cherry Brakewells - live and raw, with no keyboards, fancy effects or studio trickery - and they sound fantastic. A heavy funky sounding rock band with powerful soul vocals - they knocked me for six the first time I saw them!
PS: This venue later closed and reopened as 'The Bowery'

No comments:

Post a Comment