Monday 23 June 2014

13/2/2009 Eyelash in Camden and a cover band locally.

SubjectEyelash in Camden and a cover band locally.
PostedDate2/13/2009

Friday the 13th. After a pretty grim week of staying in every night (apart from nightly hospital visits) I decide continuing to stay in and thinking too much probably isn't healthy. I think getting out of the house and seeing some of my friends would be a good idea.

I arrive at the Proud Galleries in Camden in time to see Eyelash. It's a while since the band have played any shows as they've been getting their debut album ready for release - tonight is the album release party. There has been the odd change in the band since I last saw them - singer Fe has radically changed her hair, and another bass player switch now Marina has gone home to Italy sees the return of Sophie the band's original bass player.

Naturally, songs from the new album are prominently featured in the set. I'm not keen on this venue, largely because I have issues with the bar selection and prices - so I decide not to bother having anything to drink at all - plenty of time for that elsewhere later on. The stage lighting is poor as well, although the actual sound quality is surprisingly good. If you are wondering why the wall behind the stage has AC/DC painted on it, it's because the gallery currently has a exhibition of old photographs of that band - although they are taken down when there is a band playing.

The band play well as usual, although I have seen better performances from them at The Barfly and Bar Monsta in the past. The songs both old and new sound good though, and I expect the band will be performing better when they go out on tour to promote the album soon. As soon as Eyelash finish their set I rush off back to North London...

I arrive in Whetstone at a far better venue than the one in Camden I was in earlier, although I notice that after several months now the newly (or not so new now) installed real ale pump at the Real Music Club still isn't working - a phrase comes to mind involving piss-ups and breweries... It's good to meet a few of my friends, although the news that I have to break to them is less good. The Fabulous Feedback Band always manage to cheer me up, but it's more of a challenge than usual tonight - and they play even less of the ROCK standards that they used to play so many of a few years ago.

I end up having about as good a night as I can in the circumstances, and at least I don't have so far to go home - and I stop at the house of some friends on the way back for more beer...

No comments:

Post a Comment