Sunday 9 March 2014

30/8/2007 Paloma Faith @ Hoxton Bar & Kitchen

SubjectPaloma Faith @ Hoxton Bar & Kitchen
PostedDate8/30/2007

The headline act tonight was Paloma Faith - a new name to me, but I am informed by a friend that she's a good singer. This turns out to be the case.
After seeing this performance I can see her being hyped as 'the new Amy Winehouse'. She is certainly a talented and charismatic performer, and indeed has an excellent voice, but in a couple of important respects she is better than Southgate's Queen of Rehab - she doesn't cancel gigs, and she doesn't slur her words and stagger drunkenly around the stage. 
I wasn't that impressed with her band, as apart from the bass player they seemed rather dull. However, Ms Faith was anything but and was most engaging.
Although this sort of soul influenced music isn't the sort of thing I'd normally go and see, I found this a charming and entertaining show and I may well be going to see Paloma Faith again.
No - I have no idea what one of the Urban Voodoo Machine drummers is doing there!

No comments:

Post a Comment