Wednesday 26 March 2014

22/10/2007 Warrior Soul, Disarm, Jack Viper & Rise To Addiction @ the Purple Turtle

SubjectWarrior Soul, Disarm, Jack Viper & Rise To Addiction @ the Purple Turtle
PostedDate10/22/2007

How do you fill the Purple Turtle on a cold Monday night in October? If you are Pure Rawk Promotions then you put Warrior Soul on there.
The only other times I've seen this venue so full have been for Towers Of London and the Quireboys.

Disarm open the bill with a tight and powerful set of power punk rock 'n' roll. These boys always turn in a strong performance and tonight is no exception. 

Next up are Camden sleaze regulars Jack Viper. I'm surprised to see them so early on the bill, but judging by the lucklustre audience reaction maybe it was the right choice. 

Rise To Addiction are on next. They are new to me, and to be honest their music goes in one ear and straight out the other - although maybe there isn't much left to stop it inbetween... They have an energetic frontman though, and he does a good job of grabbing the attention of the audience - which he needs to because the music doesn't.
To be fair, they go down better than the previous band - although the venue has filled up more by then.

There's no mistaking who the main draw is on tonight's bill. I've never seen Warrior Soul before, although a few of their songs are familiar.
I saw Kory Clarke a few months ago when he was fronting Dirty Rig, and I have to say I was impressed even though I didn't know any of that band's songs - he certainly is an excellent frontman.
This version of Warrior Soul is really just Kory and a bunch of new guys - but he knows how to pick good people to play with so although this is essentially a new band they sound damn good.

Things start to go wrong for me when it's time to go home - what's new?  I look at my watch and see it's exactly midnight - meaning I still have about 15 minutes to chat and finish my drink. A few minutes later I check again to see how much time I have to spare. It's still midnight! WTF? Closer inspection reveals I have somehow switched my watch to stopwatch mode and it's actually reading all the zeroes. The time is now 00.30 and I have missed my train.  I get to Mornington Crescent station and have to settle for another train - which leaves me with a two or three mile walk after getting off at the other end. I could have got the night bus (or buses) almost to my door, but that would have taken an hour or so longer. I eventually get back about 2 AM, and four hours later I'm getting up to go to work - having only got around the same amount of sleep the previous night. I never learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment