Tuesday 14 October 2014

3/8/2014 High Barnet Music Festival

Barnet seems to be overrun with music festivals this year - this is probably the smallest event. Unfortunately I don't have time to catch much of it as I have a gig I want to get to in Camden later. This more intimate festival takes place in the little park behind the old courthouse and is in aid of Noah's Ark Children's Hospice. There is a beer tent of sorts, but little to tempt my taste on offer so I partake of a beverage or two in the nearby Olde Mitre Inne which stocks some excellent ales.

The weather is lovely and there is a good turnout. I catch part of the set from promising local brother and sister duo Slap. It's possible to catch the occasional glimpse of them as they battle the smoke machine - what is the point in using one of these devices to try and create 'atmosphere' in bright sunlight?
This duo are pretty good. Not a million miles away from the White Stripes in style and with some decent original songs. They seem to be popping up all over the place locally over the past year, but they are always worth seeing.

The only other act I have time to see is popular local band The Haunting.
This lot always go down well with their set of mostly hard rock standards with bits of soul, blues, and pop mixed in.
And when bass player Jason takes to the air and lands on the grass in front of the stage throwing his instrument to the floor - that would seem to signify the end of the show. Time for me to reluctantly leave as I have to get to another gig miles away.....

No comments:

Post a Comment