Saturday 3 August 2019

3/8/2019 Porcelaine Hill @ The Amersham Arms

Yikes - South of the river! On my ancient map is says 'Here be dragons!'

It's not difficult with the newest train services, but it does take a long time to get from the extreme North of London to New Cross and it costs noticeably more than traveling to the West end - especially if you travel via London Bridge station - for no apparent reason. Still, I find myself at the Amersham Arms. Due to it taking so long to get so far South I miss the first bands on the bill. The first two bands I see are (I think) Palumbo and Electric Cake Salad.


Unfortunately neither of these bands make any impression on me. However, I know I can rely on headliners Porcelain Hill to bring the rock and blues.

This band always put on a great show. There is an obvious Hendrix influence, but instead of the old playing the guitar behind the head trick Darnell Cole plays the guitar behind his back - and makes it look easy.
This band are no cover or tribute act though, and very much stamp their own style on things - they can rock out, be soulful, or play the blues, but they do it all with skill and conviction. They do seem to have a revolving door for bass players though and I think this is the third one I've seen them playing with - they have all been very good though.
This band have spent so much time touring in the UK over the past year or so that I think they are actually relocating from the US to over here. To be honest I can't blame anyone for wanting to get out of the USA as long as the orange goblin is in charge. Porcelain Hill are possibly the best band on the current underground rock scene that you've never heard of.


No comments:

Post a Comment