Saturday 15 June 2019

15/6/2019 Ryan Hamilton & The Harlequin Ghosts @ The Borderline

Due to corporate greed this looks like being my last ever visit to The Borderline. The current owners are being forced out by massive rent rises. On one hand I'll be sad to see it go as I've seen so many of my favourite bands there over the years and it's virtually the last music venue left in Soho as Crossrail and the gentrification of the area relentlessly rolls on. But I also thought it was totally ruined as a live venue by the refurb a couple of years ago, and it was no longer a place I enjoyed visiting - what a huge waste of money that refurb has proved to be. However, when a band I like plays there I have to go, so here I am one last time. Ryan Hamilton & the Harlequin Ghosts are the reason for my visit tonight.
This is country rock with a twist. Ryan Hamilton himself hails from Texas, but the rest of his band are based in the UK.
Ryan is an engaging performer with a good line in banter. In between songs he tells us stories that draw us into his world - like the time he found out his hero Tom Petty had not only heard his music but really liked it. Some of his stories are quite touching, but he is very funny too! The emphasis is more on rock than country, and he has a very good band who can really rock out when required - some of you will probably recognise bassist Rob Lane AKA Laney 74 from many other acts he has toured and recorded with other the years like Teenage Casket Company, DIP, BulletBoys, and Let Loose to name but a few...
Lead guitarist Dave Winkler (not visible in my crappy pictures) will also be familiar to many from the underground rock 'n' roll scene. The band look and sound great and Ryan himself is very entertaining, as well as having some great songs like Smarter. The place is full and the atmosphere is great thanks to an enthusiastic crowd. Ryan Hamilton shows in London are always well attended, but he seems to be one of those 'Best kept secret' performers who is largely ignored by the media in spite of being popular on the underground scene.

And so I leave The Borderline for the last ever time with mixed feelings. On one hand I am sad to see what was once one of London's best small venues closing, but after how the place was totally ruined by the refurb a couple of years and turned into a venue I no longer enjoyed visiting I can't honestly say I'll miss it. It's a shame to see it go though as the 100 Club is now the only proper music venue left in the West End due to gentrification and corporate greed.

No comments:

Post a Comment