Friday 28 October 2022

28/10/2022 The Damn Truth @ The Black Heart

It's always interesting when you get to see a band who might be 'the next big thing' at a very small venue. Canada's The Damn Truth are one such band. Their song 'This Is Who We Are Now' grabbed my attention when I heard it on the radio. When I found out they were playing at Camden's tiny Black Heart I knew I had to take this chance to check them out. I was not wrong.

I am sometimes amused when a band makes a big deal out of 'selling out their London show' - this is exactly what happens tonight, but to be honest you don't have to be that big a band to sell out this 150 capacity venue. To be fair I think this is the band's first time in London so I can understand them being excited about it.

You certainly get the feeling this band should be in a much bigger venue than this. However, I did check out their current album (actually their third) and to be honest only 'This Is Who We Are Now' really grabbed my attention. As far as the band's live performance goes there is a bit of a hippy vibe going on and a strong 60's and 70's influence - there is for sure some Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith in there. Singer Lee-la Baum has a definite Janis Joplin feel, although with the rough edges smoothed off.
This is a very polished and professional looking outfit - you get a strong impression they have spent many years working to get to this stage, although actually they seem a comparatively young band. They have in fact been around for nine years.
There is a lot of stagecraft on display here and the band really seem to know exactly how to conduct themselves as bona-fide rock stars.
I don't know what size venues this band normally play in their home country, but I assume they are used to playing much bigger rooms than this. I sometimes wonder when I see established 'name' bands from abroad on their first UK tour what they think when after playing other shows around the country they arrive in London to play what they are expecting to be the biggest and highest profile gig of the tour - and find they are actually playing in a small pub venue? If The Damn Truth are fazed by this they certainly don't show it.
As far as their performance goes this band already seem ready to play much bigger venues than this, so it will be interesting to see what venue they play when they hit London on their next tour...

PS: In summer 2023 The Damn Truth play a slightly larger London venue on their following tour - Islington Academy 2. Then later in the year will be supporting Glen Hughes at London's Electric Ballroom - a much bigger venue they may well be headlining themselves in a year or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment