Friday 2 September 2022

2/9/2022 Chantel McGregor & Loz Campbell @ The 100 Club

Friday night finds me back at the 100 Club for another dose of blues and rock. This iconic venue has hardly changed at all in the many years I have been coming here and is all the better for it. And can you name a single other dedicated music venue in London in 2022 where you can get a pint for under £4? However, I'm not here for the beer - I'm here for a night of Northern blues-rock.

I have been aware of Loz Cambell for a while, but this is the first time I have seen the singer and her self-titled band.

Not being very familiar with the music I streamed all the Loz Campbell I could find on Amazon. The earlier stuff was more 'singer/songwriter' and partly acoustic, then getting more 'rock' - this is what we get tonight and it's rather good.
This is unapologetic blues-rock, but with some pop melodies and catchy tunes - 'Generic Girl' being possibly the most memorable song. While there is no doubt who's band it is, at times Loz is in danger of being upstaged by a couple of her bandmates.
However, this is very much a band rather than a solo artist and backing musos.
The playing is tight and to a high standard - well polished over many gigs and tours.
There is show(wo)manship, dynamics, and pathos throughout the band's set.
Loz is not afraid to rock out when the mood takes her...
...and it takes her quite often.
And as I think is usual the band's set ends with a rather precarious looking human pyramid.
This is definitely an act I will be looking out for in future...

The Yorkshire guitarist theme is continued by the wonderful Chantel McGregor.
This is the second time I have seen her - both times at the 100 Club. After seeing her here in 2019 I was so impressed I knew I had to see another one of her shows, and so here I am again.
Chantel is pretty amazing on the guitar - she makes it all look so effortless and natural. Like with the late Darrell Bath sometimes  you see a performer and realise you are watching someone with a special gift that raises them above the merely 'great'. This lady is one such talent. She is also a braver person than me in playing on a club stage in bare feet!
Chantel sings well and can write a good blues or rock song, but it's as a lead guitar player and soloist that she really shines - she can rip it up with the very best of them...
...but she can also play with a rare feeling and sensitivity. Chantel has an ability to draw you into her world.
There are points in the show where you feel there is something special happening in the room, and in one extended solo she is quite spellbinding - there seems to be a magic in the air that I haven't felt since I saw Joe Bonamassa play at the much missed High Voltage Festival in 2010.
With her relaxed and easygoing Northern charm this Yorkshire lass creates a warm and friendly atmosphere in the room, but her guitar playing tonight lifts things to a whole different level. This performance was rather special and I feel very lucky to have been here.

No comments:

Post a Comment