Tuesday 16 August 2022

16/8/2022 Combichrist @ Islington Assembly Hall

Sometimes it's good to go and see something different from the sort of bands you normally go and see, and also visit a venue you haven't been to before. So thanks to a friend telling me about the gig here I am at Islington Assembly Hall. I have walked past this place countless times on my way to other gigs, and although I have heard good things about the venue I have never set foot inside. Until now. The building is actually owned by the council and adjoins the Town Hall. The place opened in 1930 and is very impressive with it's Art Deco fixtures and fittings. Less impressive is the lack of air conditioning on what is one of the hottest days of the summer, but I have been to far hotter and more uncomfortable gigs than this. Also less than ideal is the fact that only one of the two bars in the room is actually open - not great during a heatwave when there are 800 or so people in the room and many of them are desperate for a beer. However, apart from that (and the needlessly unisex toilets and resulting queues) I find this is a rather fine music venue - it has 1930's period style and has been refurbished to a high standard. It's nice to be in a venue that seems well maintained and isn't a shithole - unlike many well known music venues.

Tonight's proceedings are opened by Mimi Barks. An artist new to me who I was interested in checking out.

Her vocals were better than I expected - I was ready for the usual generic screaming/shouting/grunting that most current metal acts churn out, but I was pleasantly surprised. Mimi gave a very energetic performance, but none of her actual songs left a memorable impression on me.

Next up was Priest. No guitars. No drums. Just 3 anonymous blokes - two with keyboards and one singer.
Interesting visually, but far more attention seemed to have been made to the image than had been paid to the music. Mimi Barks joined them for a song or two - which made things more interesting.
However, although some effort had obviously gone into the presentation their musical cyber-assault did little to keep my attention.
Sadly for Priest a 'keyboard hero' doesn't have the same dynamic impact as a 'guitar hero, but at least they tried to make their show more interesting.
However, by then I was already starting to get bored and my attention was drifting to the furnishings of the venue itself rather than what was happening on stage...

And so, onto the headliners. This is the first time I've seen Combichrist although I have been aware of them for some time.
Combichrist is the US based vision of Norwegian frontman Andy LaPlegua. Originally a solo studio project for the singer and very techno/industrial/cyber in sound.
Over time Combichrist has evolved into a full band for live shows and the band has expanded over the years.
However, even with the full band it is evident who is the boss and Andy appears to revel in his role as 'rock star' and master of ceremonies.
Along with the gradual transition into a full band for live performances the music has changed over time - it has moved away from it's early heavy but cyber/industrial roots towards more full-on metal.



I enjoy the performance more than I expected - partly because it was a full band rather than the half a band and backing tracks I was expecting...
...but also because it was more full-on rock/metal than expected, and it was a bigger production too - a proper rock show...
...and definitely made more enjoyable by the vintage Art Deco surroundings.
More effort had been put into the lighting and production than I was expecting and it certainly increased the dramatic effect.
As well as the show being better for having a full band - with members occasionally moving from one instrument to another the set was more song based than the more techno/cyber/dance vibe I was expecting.
Towards the end of the show Mimi Barks made another appearance on stage...
...before she stage dived and crowd surfed - along with a member of Combichist playing a drum!
All in all it was a memorable show and I'm sure no one went home disappointed - I certainly enjoyed the show more than I was expecting. But it wasn't time to go home quite yet as my friend asked if I was going to the aftershow at Slim Jim's? Well it would have been rude not to - not that I needed any persuading...

No comments:

Post a Comment